Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Featherweight Friends - Will you tell me your opinion on which 1/4" foot is best. >
  • Featherweight Friends - Will you tell me your opinion on which 1/4" foot is best.

• Featherweight Friends - Will you tell me your opinion on which 1/4" foot is best.

Old 01-25-2011, 08:31 AM

I ordered my 1/4 in foot on line from Singer sewing it self. I needed a new light. They also sent that. I love my feather weight. I have 2 packages of feet. I do not know what you are looking for. Both sets came with my machine. Mari Walther in Florida
    Old 01-25-2011, 08:42 AM

What a neat machine you wil love sewing on it. I have a featherwight that I put an ankle on with a snap on for the 1/4" foot which you can buy at any joann's or other fabric stores they are made by white. It works wonderfully
    Old 01-25-2011, 09:57 AM

From your picture I see you have a screw hole to the right of your needle. Check the attachments that came with your machine. You are looking for a screw and a rectangle looking piece of metal with a screw hole in it. If you have this than you can screw the attachment to your machine lining up with the measurements right under your needle. If no measurement are there you can adjust the attachment until it is a quarter inche from your sewing line and tighten the screw up at that point. I hope this makes sense to you. Hopefully you received an instruction book. Check there for more clear info.
    Old 01-25-2011, 10:04 AM
    Power Poster

I use the one with the side edge. I ordered another one for a back up because they I can't find them local.
    Old 01-25-2011, 10:25 AM

Thanks so much for the suggestions... I never even thought of oiling it before starting to sew on it... I'm going to do that right away.

I see the Nancy Johnson-Srebro book is on Amazon so I've got that in my cart and will definitely buy it. Meanwhile, does your book suggest ways to get the musty smell out of the case?

Originally Posted by kwilter
    I, too, love my 3 FW. Since yours has not been serviced, my suggestion would be to buy a copy of "Featherweight 221, The Perfect Portable (And Its Stitches Across Time)" by Nancy Johnson-Srebro, or Dave McCullom's book (or both). You will want to check out your SM to be sure it is cleaned, properly lubed and oiled so that it doesn't "seize up" or worse. There are many FW sites you can Google for information. Incidentally, JoAnn's still sells SINGER Lubricant and oil as do most LQSs both online and in store. I am in the process of "conditioning" my first FW and can hardly wait to give it a go! I think I may try for one of the plastic feet, too. Good Luck and HAVE FUN!
    Old 01-25-2011, 10:38 AM

Just found this website where I can download a free Featherweight 221 instruction manual... but it looks brief.

http://www.singerco.com/accessories/manuals.html
    Old 01-25-2011, 10:45 AM

I have bought 221 items at Featherweight221.com and at 221Parts.com. No problems with either vendor. I've gotten parts also on Ebay.
    Old 01-25-2011, 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by gailmitchell
    Thanks so much for the suggestions... I never even thought of oiling it before starting to sew on it... I'm going to do that right away.

I see the Nancy Johnson-Srebro book is on Amazon so I've got that in my cart and will definitely buy it. Meanwhile, does your book suggest ways to get the musty smell out of the case?

Originally Posted by kwilter
    I, too, love my 3 FW. Since yours has not been serviced, my suggestion would be to buy a copy of "Featherweight 221, The Perfect Portable (And Its Stitches Across Time)" by Nancy Johnson-Srebro, or Dave McCullom's book (or both). You will want to check out your SM to be sure it is cleaned, properly lubed and oiled so that it doesn't "seize up" or worse. There are many FW sites you can Google for information. Incidentally, JoAnn's still sells SINGER Lubricant and oil as do most LQSs both online and in store. I am in the process of "conditioning" my first FW and can hardly wait to give it a go! I think I may try for one of the plastic feet, too. Good Luck and HAVE FUN!
    YES! It's a very common problem that she clearly explains...also, suggestions on how to overcome it. Right here on the Board are many suggestions, too; just "Search" FWs and/or check out Lostn51 for Billy's info.
    Old 01-25-2011, 01:40 PM

In my humble opinion, I truly suggest Dave McCollum's book and his DVD. I have them and I can do more with this little machine because of his book. This man really really really knows all about the FW! You may also want to check out the Yahoo group board for the FW gang. We get awesome advice here. Graham is a super knowledgeable person on FW. Also Art Lee and Glenn Williams are devoted to these dear little machines. We all help each other out when one gets stuck. And if you are new to the FW world, everyone there welcomes you and you get more help than you can imagine. Love this group too. FW owners - come and join us!
    Old 01-25-2011, 01:48 PM

Thanks so much. I'm really feeling the love!!

I will check out the FW group on yahoo.. I agree, I really love this board too. Everyone is so willing to share, and very positive. I love posting new pictures of my sewing. Love getting comments and praise.... I can't believe how many people have FW's.. Love that everyone is willing to share info...

Originally Posted by MiMi in Lutz
    In my humble opinion, I truly suggest Dave McCollum's book and his DVD. I have them and I can do more with this little machine because of his book. This man really really really knows all about the FW! You may also want to check out the Yahoo group board for the FW gang. We get awesome advice here. Graham is a super knowledgeable person on FW. Also Art Lee and Glenn Williams are devoted to these dear little machines. We all help each other out when one gets stuck. And if you are new to the FW world, everyone there welcomes you and you get more help than you can imagine. Love this group too. FW owners - come and join us!
    :-P :-P