Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Featherweight Friends - Will you tell me your opinion on which 1/4" foot is best. >
  • Featherweight Friends - Will you tell me your opinion on which 1/4" foot is best.

• Featherweight Friends - Will you tell me your opinion on which 1/4" foot is best.

Old 01-25-2011, 05:22 PM

Your acrylic foot looks like my little foot. I much prefer the one with the sidebar. Ordered three feet off of an internet site and they are fine and good and heavy. Forgotten the site though. The three feet ran 50.00 something dollars.
    Old 01-25-2011, 06:11 PM

Question. I have found a featherweight for sale, they are Asking $400. is this a good price?
    Old 01-25-2011, 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by Gramie bj
    Question. I have found a featherweight for sale, they are Asking $400. is this a good price?
    I do believe you can do better! It all depends on the condition of the FW; whether it runs well; looks clean; comes with original box, foot control, green book and attachments; still has original bobbin and bobbin case; the gold decals are not worn badly, etc., etc. Can you have it serviced nearby or can do the job yourself? FWs are oil pigs. Always check the status of the seller and contact the seller with all your questions. I am happy with the ones I got on ebay, running from $200 to $300. Shipping cost is not cheap and you must insist on superior packing and insurance as well. All depends on what you want...so take the time to look carefully. (TIP: I found that SMs with closing times between midnight and 6:00 am close with lower bids.) :-D
    Old 01-25-2011, 07:51 PM

Little foot does make a l/4 foot for the fw. I have one and love it. How ever i don't use the fw now that I have the Viking diamond.
    Old 01-25-2011, 08:42 PM

I bought the 1/4 inch foot for my Featherweight on eBay. I don't think it has a brand, but it just was advertised as for the model 221 (I think that is the model). My machine looks just like yours. Mine is a 1952. It is about the only foot I use on my machine. I take it to class a lot.
    Old 01-25-2011, 09:31 PM

I just purchased 1/4 foot for my 301 from Featherweightsetc.com they have the foot with the
    edge on it....it only took 3 days to arrive...really nice
    quality....am going to order the one with the side edge for
    my Featherweight from them....very satisfied with quality and
    very fast delivery.

Peg
    Old 01-25-2011, 11:45 PM

My mom gave me an old singer much like yours. It is the machine that I learned to sew on and came with all it's original attachments. I would not change a thing.
    Old 01-26-2011, 12:24 AM
    Power Poster

Congratulations. You will love your Featherweight. I have several and it is my favorite machine to sew on. As well as the web sites that have been posted on this thread, we use one that is called http://www.april1930s.com/html/quilt....html#LowShank. They have a large listing of short shank feet as well as other attachments. Good Luck
    Old 01-26-2011, 04:43 AM

Originally Posted by MiMi in Lutz
    In my humble opinion, I truly suggest Dave McCollum's book and his DVD. I have them and I can do more with this little machine because of his book. This man really really really knows all about the FW! You may also want to check out the Yahoo group board for the FW gang. We get awesome advice here. Graham is a super knowledgeable person on FW. Also Art Lee and Glenn Williams are devoted to these dear little machines. We all help each other out when one gets stuck. And if you are new to the FW world, everyone there welcomes you and you get more help than you can imagine. Love this group too. FW owners - come and join us!
    Ditto! I totally agree. Search FeatherweightRX and that will bring you to David MacCallum. Thanks to his wonderfully illustrated book, I just cleaned, oiled and lubed "Fern", my Featherweight . Wouldn't have had the first clue about how to do this without his instruction. You can buy parts on his website,too. Since I didn't care for the 1/4" foot I bought locally, I purchased the plate which is screwed into one of the holes already on the machine. You can adjust it for whatever width seam line you want. Once it is in place, you butt the fabric against the edge of this solid plate. Perfect scant 1/4" seams! Great for piecing quilts
    Old 01-26-2011, 05:59 AM

Try a sewing machine store. I have one with the side bar and I don't like it. Fabric seems to catch on it.