Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Featherweight Storage Bin >
  • Featherweight Storage Bin

• Featherweight Storage Bin

Old 05-28-2011, 09:07 AM

I was looking around for an alternative storage container for my FW because the original black box, although it is in pretty good shape, has an unpleasant hide glue aroma. Also, I'd like to make a quilted carrying bag for the machine and needed something lightweight and sturdy inside to protect it. I think I found one that would be hard to beat, though if there are others available, I'd like to know. This one is by Sterlite and is called the "Large Nesting Show-off" #1876. http://www.sterilite.com/SelectProdu...254&section=1I've had it for several years storing socks. Walmart and other stores sell this brand in the US, or it might be available online. When you look it up, you will think the dimensions are too large, but these are the largest dimension with the top on and the latch flipped open. It tapers down so that the bottom leaves just enough room for a bit of padding at the ends. There is room for the accessories and foot pedal, but I intend to sew a padded bag for those so they don't rub the finish on the machine. I would not turn this on its side or upside down, but then I would not do that with the original box either. The third picture shows the molded hand holds at the ends of the box, and I would always pick it up by those rather than the plastic handle on the top, which seems a bit less secure, although technically, since the box is designed to hold hanging files, it should easily take the weight of the machine. The carrying bag I intend to make to cover this will have webbing straps that go around the entire bag. If I get around to making that, I'll post pictures.

Featherweight Bin
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]203447[/ATTACH]

Top View
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]203448[/ATTACH]

Showing the hand hold, one at each end
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]203449[/ATTACH]
    Attached Thumbnails attachment-203441.jpe   attachment-203442.jpe   attachment-203443.jpe  
    Old 05-28-2011, 09:20 AM

If you use this, just be very very careful of NOT using the actual handle on top. I have several of these. I put hanging files and file folders in them, along with my calculator to travel. Last time, I used one, the handle actually pulled out of the hole. I put it back in but wouldn't trust it.

I know one thing I really really like. It is used for scrapbooking. It is a crate with a cover insert with all sorts of pockets inside and on the outside. There is plenty of room for the FW and then you could use all the great pockets for accessories. I only paid $50 for it and it has been well worth the price. PLUS, it has a pull up handle like a suitcase and its on wheels. LOVE IT!!

You might even be able to get it cheaper with a Joanns, Hobby Lobby coupon.
    Old 05-28-2011, 09:30 AM

What a nice storage place for your featherweight! How
    inventive you are.
    Old 05-28-2011, 02:18 PM

Bonnie Hunter from Quiltville travels lots with her FW. She purchased a padded cooler that was a perfect size. Just another option.
    Old 05-28-2011, 05:45 PM
    Power Poster

To get rid of the smell in the original featherweight case, try putting a couple of Odoreaters (with charcoal) shoe insoles inside the case for a couple of weeks. This is what got rid of the smell in mine. I keep the insoles in there all the time because, aside from taking care of the odor, they provide some cushioning between the foot pedal and the machine.
    Old 05-28-2011, 06:51 PM

Thanks, Prism99. I may try the Odoreaters. Currently I have a little dish of kitty litter in there (without the machine), because it's what I had handy. It seems to be helping, but I figure that since the source of the problem is the glue, it will just come back. Odoreaters would be better because they could be left in there.

I'll probably still make a quilted cover for the plastic bin because it would be a fun thing to do.
    Old 05-28-2011, 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by sammygirlqt
    Bonnie Hunter from Quiltville travels lots with her FW. She purchased a padded cooler that was a perfect size. Just another option.
    This raises an interesting question: Does she carry it on planes, or do they make her check it? I have seen baggage handlers toss things, and would never want them to get their hands on my baby. I had enough anxiety waiting for it to arrive here when I bought it on eBay.
    Old 05-28-2011, 07:46 PM
    Power Poster

I have several of these bins. The handle will not hold up
    to much weight at all. I wouldn't trust it to carry my
    machine.
    Old 05-28-2011, 08:43 PM

I have carried my Featherweight on airplanes in a canvas bag with a zip top..and then a rolling backpack. Both worked great..but I liked the wheels better. I did put the needles/rotary cutter/scissors in my check thru bag tho.
    Old 05-29-2011, 06:48 PM

Originally Posted by BellaBoo
    I have several of these bins. The handle will not hold up
    to much weight at all. I wouldn't trust it to carry my
    machine.
    I guess this bears repeating. I would not pick up the bin by the top handle with the machine in it - EVER. There are secure hand holds on the ends. My intention is to make a quilted bag with proper carrying straps on it to go around this bin.

I hope everyone got that. I wouldn't want anyone to drop a machine because of my suggestion. I clearly said I did not trust that top handle. Thank you.