Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Feed dogs >
  • Feed dogs

• Feed dogs

Old 07-06-2023, 06:26 AM

Sorry toogie.....when my mothers old 56 or thereabouts Chevy or Pontiac stalled out she would get out of the car and wack some part of the engine and it would run again. Have you tried giving it a wack??
    Old 07-06-2023, 07:21 AM

Originally Posted by lindaschipper
    Sorry toogie.....when my mothers old 56 or thereabouts Chevy or Pontiac stalled out she would get out of the car and wack some part of the engine and it would run again. Have you tried giving it a wack??
    Not yet!-lol
    I did take the plates off both machines and get the fuzzies out. Mine was pretty bad but hers just a slight fuzz. I called a service guy my friend uses. He wants $99 to service Nora’s used one time machine and that probably doesn’t include any part to fix it. I will just go buy her another machine off the shelf at Walmart for $150. I can go back to using my old one, but she is heartbroken that hers doesn’t work. I told her I would get it fixed or buy her another machine. I told her I planned on teaching her sewing and about the machine while I was staying with them this week but I don’t guess I will now. She said I did teach her something. NOT TO SLIDE THAT SWITCH THAT LOWERS/raises the feed dogs! I told her you are supposed to be able to change the height as you need to. I told her it should not have broken just because you slide the switch.
    Old 07-06-2023, 07:32 AM

When I made the comment above I thought I had ‘told the whole story’. I had a day that day as I said from the beginning. First my machine feed dogs wouldn’t raise so we got Nora’s , my 10 year old granddaughter’s machine out of the box to use. I had bought this machine for her brand new when she was 3 years old. We made a doll pillow and pillowcase then her mom put it back in the box and it has sat 7 years in her closet.
    Well, I was showing her how to thread, talking about what each thing is called and I showed her the switch on the back that lowers and raises the feed dog. Well as I was demonstrating the feed dogs lowered but then HERS WONT COME UP! My goodness all I did was slide a switch. Nora was visibly upset. I told her I did nothing wrong. I said that’s why you have the switch and you are supposed to be able to slide it without anything going wrong. I told her I would have it fixed or buy her yet another new machine.🙄 what is the chance of both switches giving out? I could understand if mine was worn out. I sew almost every day but her machine was used one time 7 years ago…..
    Old 07-06-2023, 07:42 AM
    Power Poster

The mechanism that lowers and raises the dogs probably gave out. Yours is probably a heavy duty spring that popped off. The other machine probably has a plastic mechanism and plastic starts to deteriorate in about seven years. That's why car seats have an expiration date and that plastic is pretty sturdy. After seven years the plastic can crack and break in an instant. Some last much longer but the chance is there.
    Old 07-06-2023, 09:59 AM

I have questions.
    What model of Brother is this?
    What does the manual say? Both the instruction part and the troubleshooting part?
    Old 07-06-2023, 12:11 PM

After a quick google, there is a lot of places mentioning that you have to have the needle in the highest position by rotating the hand wheel one complete rotation towards you and then raising and feed dogs and again rotating the hand wheel a complete rotation. Might be worth a try.
    Old 07-07-2023, 06:26 AM

toogie, per https://www.quiltingboard.com/vbulle...n-t321075.html you got them both working again, Please tell what you did to finally get them both working.

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.
    Not affiliated with off-site link(s)
    Old 07-07-2023, 06:56 AM

Oh both machines are sewing again! I am so happy!!! I went to YouTube ( my kids and grandkids will be so proud I remembered to-lol) I watched this lady and thought I think I can do that myself. Well I did what she said and got my dogs up. Put my plate and everything back on and went to sew but fabric wasn’t moving through. I guess I got nervous then and called my friends son. He is so smart when it comes to ANY tech stuff. He likes taking things apart and seeing how they work. Well he was eager, because he likes a challenge and never worked on a sewing machine before, so came right over. He took all the plastic off my machine so we could clean all the lint out. This is just a $400 sewing/embroidery machine from Walmart I’ve had about 10+ years and has never been serviced so fuzz was everywhere. We cleaned it all and he adjusted the dog like I had done until it was correct. Put everything back together and I sewed forward backward etc to make sure it would feed both ways. I almost hugged him!!! Then he did Nora’s adjustment with just taking the throat plate off. I bought it to her this morning when I came. I’ve been staying all week with the kids while my son-in-law works because my daughter drove the bus with the church youth to camp. Anyway, Nora’s eyes lit up when she saw her machine back. She is making something as I text. I told her she is doing really well, keeping her top stitching straight, even and close to the edge. Look her at her strap tab for a little pouch she made.
    Needless to say we both are extremely happy.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dVMUwqJbawU
    Attached Thumbnails 55899f04-b4d2-44ea-a6dc-a1c540079f4d.jpeg   948ecc4c-46a0-4855-9b5f-3fe1e9c67d8e.jpeg   748d3502-0aae-4366-987c-ae97c5949e1f.jpeg   d68bd513-a3c2-453a-9265-62c43b08fce5.jpeg  
    Old 07-07-2023, 07:40 AM

Good for you. Congratulations. I looked at a video about getting plastic machines apart and looked like quite a process. I'm glad you got them both working as they should.

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.
    Not affiliated with off-site link(s)
    Old 07-07-2023, 03:07 PM

I love guys and gals who love to take things apart and know how to put them back together so that they are working. Good job at finding the right help. Have fun sewing.!