Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • feeling guilty >
  • feeling guilty

• feeling guilty

Old 01-24-2011, 12:05 PM

One thing about UFO's is if they sit too long your taste could change and you may not feel as enthusiastic about finishing it later. I have some small Christmas quilt tops that I made a few years ago and never quilted. This summer I'll get them in my quilting hoop to work on. I enjoy hand quilting and it doesn't make sense they aren't finished except that other quilts have beckoned to me in the mean time :-D
    Old 01-24-2011, 12:10 PM
    Banned

try to spend some time on them on a regular basis. I had a project that kept being moved from one side of the table to the other. I spread it out today and finished cutting the squares. Then put it back on the other side of the table.
    I will now be able to start stitching it.
    Old 01-24-2011, 12:13 PM

If having them unfinished makes you anxious, you should work on each of them regularly... I have 4 quilting projects going most times, plus I'm finally learning how to knit... 1 is a gift from a kit, this one takes the most restraint, as it has directions... then the companion quilt with the left overs from that one,that's a make it up as you go; then the pp quilt , because I like to do some hand work every day ( that's where the knitting comes in too)and I just finished a wall hanging of siggie blocks from our swap in May, so I'll start on a baby quilt for a co-worker this weekend. Depending what I fee like, that's what I work on, some days I do alittle on each, you'd be amazed how much you feel you've accomplished at the end of the week.
    Old 01-24-2011, 12:43 PM
    Power Poster

Quilting is supposed to be fun, isn't it? Just do what you feel like doing and my guess is, most of them will get done at some point.
    Old 01-24-2011, 12:46 PM

I use to feel guilty .... and then the feeling passed and I started a new project! Some days I want something that I don't have to think about and others I want to work on something from the UFO pile.. either way they all pass through some kind of pile on there way to completition!
    Old 01-24-2011, 12:51 PM

I've never felt guilty about my UFO's, I just put them on a shelf and close the door. I know I'll finish them, in fact I spent most of last year finishing up UFO's. I'm down to four now and I plan to get them finished soon. I am quilting for the fun of it, so guilt has never entered my mind.
    Old 01-24-2011, 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by davidwent
    As some of you already know I am a very newbie. Maybe 3 months since I started. I already have 4 wip's or ufo's however we want to call them.
    I know we all do it, but... How do you get over the guilty feeling of projects going unfinished?? LOL
    David
    Is it considered a UFO if you've only bought the pattern and fabric and it's sitting in your sewing room waiting for you and waiting for you and waiting for you! And lets just say, it has company, lots of company! LOL Learn to live with the guilt! Then go buy more fabric.!
    Old 01-24-2011, 12:52 PM

I find I do get around to finishing my LIW (ladies in waiting, so much nicer than UFO) but only when I feel called to them. It keeps me from getting bored with a project if I change them up. Don't worry about it, just do what you want to do. There are no quilt police !!
    Old 01-24-2011, 12:59 PM

In order for me to keep sane, I always have several projects working at once, if I get stuck or frustrated I go to a different one, usually I have several different levels of skill, intermediate, middle and easy so I can get my mind wrapped around one project, but I always get back to the original projects eventually :D :D
    Old 01-24-2011, 01:05 PM

don't feel guilty. This is a hobby, and it's supposed to be fun! It happens to most of us I'd think. We get tired of something, or realize how we could have done something better, or want to change something and then it gets left as is. Sometimes though, WIPS and UFO's can save your hide, especially if you need a quick gift in a hurry!!