Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Feeling like I've wasted so much time on this. >
  • Feeling like I've wasted so much time on this.

• Feeling like I've wasted so much time on this.

Old 02-01-2014, 10:44 PM

Originally Posted by quiltingcandy
    So I baste it in sections. Also, it goes so much better if I have help, but that isn't always the case, it is just easier. (I do wear a face mask when I spray.) It really is the glue that keeps it from puckering for me.

This is my experience as well.
    Old 02-01-2014, 10:58 PM

Originally Posted by luvTooQuilt
    Have you tried spray basting and the 'roll' method.. ?
    No, but considering it.
    Old 02-01-2014, 11:17 PM

Don't stress, put it aside, work on something else for a while and relax, I spray baste and sometimes I use the little tacking gun, which inserts tiny little plastic tags which I clip off when finished. The little tags are great as you can put them close together, it doesn't harm your machine if you sew over them and it's easier on your fingers than pinning. You may stretched your backing on the carpet and because your design is chevron which is cut on the bias it may also have stretched. Starching the bejusus out of your top and your backing before basting really does help. Good luck n keep quilting.
    Old 02-02-2014, 01:15 AM

I love spray basting..never have any puckering issues.
    Old 02-02-2014, 01:19 AM

Oh...I just read this is a chevron quilt. I just made one also and boy working with the bias on that one was hard!!! I had the worst time putting on the borders. I have not quilted mine yet...next weekend. This is not a quilt for a beginner...I made it to see how hard it would be for a girl at work that wants to learn to quilt. Nope....that is not a quilt for a beginner.
    Old 02-02-2014, 01:24 AM

Maybe you are pulling the backing to tight, if you do that when you release it, it will pucker more than if you just get the backing smoothed out but not tight.
    Old 02-02-2014, 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by carolaug
    Oh...I just read this is a chevron quilt. I just made one also and boy working with the bias on that one was hard!!! I had the worst time putting on the borders. I have not quilted mine yet...next weekend. This is not a quilt for a beginner...I made it to see how hard it would be for a girl at work that wants to learn to quilt. Nope....that is not a quilt for a beginner.
    Really? My first one went together easily and turned out beautiful. I think this one has a number of things contributing to the problem, using precuts being one thing. If I stretched the back, wouldn't it have less puckers instead of more? I think I have decided to just stitch in the ditch the whole thing. the only place this quilt lays flat is on the seams. I think that means my precuts were not all 10 inch squares as promised who knows. There is a deal in this house. I am allowed to spend what ever I want on quilting as long as I sign my work. I don't want to sign this one because it is so bad or maybe I'll just sign it "zyngawf." I also know I have another one coming up to be quilted that will have similar issues. I made snails trail and I can tell this was not for beginners and none of the quilt blocks have turned out to be the same size, yet I refuse to abandon the project. Any ideas on how to quilt that one?
    Old 02-02-2014, 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by rebeljane
    Maybe you are pulling the backing to tight, if you do that when you release it, it will pucker more than if you just get the backing smoothed out but not tight.
    Wouldn't that mainly make the front pucker?
    Old 02-03-2014, 04:34 AM

Chalk it up to tuition for learning new things. Finish it up and give it away if you hate it that much. It will still keep someone warm and they will probably never notice or care that it has a few puckers.
    Old 02-03-2014, 05:04 AM

The pre cut fabrics are cut using a laser system and aren't equal to cutting your own. Figure if each pre cut fabric is even just a couple of threads smaller, when trying to use in a large quilt, it could end up over an inch off. This would be compounded if you attempt to use both pre cut fabrics and some you cut. I know it's disappointing, but think of it as a learning experience. You'll probably have learned more from this than you would any other way. My heart goes out to you as we've all been there and would prefer not to repeat. Perhaps finish the quilt and donate to a homeless shelter or animal shelter. I've heard that some shelters have "ugly" quilt requests because the quilts aren't stolen!