Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Fellow addicts >
  • Fellow addicts

• Fellow addicts

Old 06-24-2010, 03:07 PM

I currently have 3. One I use all the time. The other I don't use at all. Why? I don't know. My third is my centennial featherweight that needs servicing, but it works and I've sewn on it. And I have a fourth on the way. Another FW.
    Old 06-24-2010, 03:11 PM

SuziC: Hey, you are blessed! I've been using my all metal White since receiving as HS graduation gift in mid 70's... My sis-n-law is bringing over second machine I've ever had - this week, or next. Gift from our family, very sentimental. It belonged to my mom-n-law/best friend. She did all things so well... Don't think I can exceed her work! It is a Bernina, #823 or something. Does that sound right...it's from the 70's too. Called "the workhorse," I think. One day, I hope my mom will give me the one she has had all my life...which I learned to sew on...PRETTY Singer in wood cabinet. I'm into sentimental...not to excited about computers. Sooooo OLD fashioned...don't tell anyone...but I also watch Lawrence Welk reruns on TV... ; - D
    Old 06-24-2010, 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by mygirl66
    Wow, I think Im the only one with only 1 mach! :-(
    Nope, me too!
    Old 06-24-2010, 03:19 PM

I have 3 sewing machines, Juki TL98E, A Sapphire 850 and a Singer Limited Editon, I forget what it is, but works great and use it all the time. I also have 2 sergers, one threaded with light thread, one with dark thread. Use all of them, too!
    Old 06-24-2010, 03:27 PM

I have four but only currently use three. My first, a Kenmore that I bought back in the early 70's when I was in high school, is currently sitting in the garage in a box for my second sewing machine (Singer Ingenuity) I bought four years ago. I also have a 12 years old Babylock serger and my prize machine, acquired a year ago: my Bernina Artista 730E. Once we close on our house and get settled into our new one, my DH has promised me a longarm with frame. I'm so excited I can hardly wait - not sure which is more exciting, the new house or the new machine :oops:
    Originally Posted by katsewnsew
    I also have 2 sergers, one threaded with light thread, one with dark thread. Use all of them, too!
    Ohhhh, that's a great idea - wonder if that reasoning will work with DH???
    Old 06-24-2010, 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by cag1949
    Nope, me too!

I just have one too, since 1974...at this point.
    Old 06-24-2010, 03:44 PM

Don't feel bad. I don't know how I ended up with as many sewing machines as I have now either.

1)My New Home is my very first sewing machine. My husband, who was my boyfriend at that time, bought it for me because the one I was using, an Elna, got given away right under me by his father to my husband's sister-in-law. The Elna belonged to my husband's mother who had passed away in 1988 before I met my husband. His father did not realize I was using it off and on though and he did not think to ask either.

2)I bought a Babylock ProLine because the repair man that I took my New Home to tune up broke it. The New Home still works but I can't use the stretch stitches.

3)I bought a Brothers Innovis NX400Q, I think that is its full name, used from a trustee LQS owner where I was taking a woolies applique quilt class from. I had to buy it because my Babylock does not sew a blanket stitch. I needed it to do this quilt. Plus my other two machines were more a general sewing machine. I now am totally hooked on quilting so I decided I need a machine designed to quilt.

4)I have an old Singer. My mother had trouble sewing on it so she gave it to me. It was because this machine only sews zig zag. She was trying to sew a straight seam. I can't totally blame her. My sister bought it at a garage sale for her and nobody told her. My mother can't read English. My sister, who doesn't sew, never removed the cover and did not know specialty sewing machines were made.

5)Bernina 8 Series 820 model with the quilting frame. Hopefully this will be the last I will ever buy. I could not get my Brothers uneven stitching fixed. It sews all the other fancy stitches look mutated. I couldn't even do FMQ with it.

I keep my New Home for nostalgia. The Babylock I take with me to classes and quilting bees. I am clumsy so I figured I would rather drop an older one than a newer one. Eventually I will get my Brothers fixed because it has a side cutter serger foot. The Singer sews great zig zag stitches. I just don't know when I will need it.
    Old 06-24-2010, 03:46 PM

No you're not - I'm feeling a bit under-stocked!!!
    Old 06-24-2010, 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by cimarron
    Originally Posted by cag1949
    Nope, me too!

I just have one too, since 1974...at this point.
    I, too, only have one Brother that I bought at Costco. It's user friendly and I love it. Maybe one day when I get into quilting more (after the other baloney in my life has straightened out) I'll be tempted...
    Old 06-24-2010, 04:16 PM

At present I have a 20year old Janome Memory Craft 8000 (sewing and embroidery), a Janome serger (I love it), a Singer Featherweight. a 1940 Singer in a cabinet (that I am giving to my grandaughter) and I gave my Singer to another grandaughter. I WANT A JANOME HORIZON!!!