Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • A few tee-shirt quilt questions >
  • A few tee-shirt quilt questions

• A few tee-shirt quilt questions

Old 11-03-2015, 03:49 AM

I have made several tshirt quilts. After applying interfacing, my designs are cut with 1-inch allowance around each design. Sometimes I have to make it less to fit the design into the block. I put sashing around each design to compliment the design. I have even taken apart old clothing the muse as the sashing for some designs. I do not use the same sashing around every design. I often put 2 or even 3'designs into one block if I have very small designs, and I orient them as needed - horizontally, vertically, and even diagonally. Each completed block is cut to a 15-inch square. I need at least 16 15-inch squares to make a decent sized quilt. I usually have 20 squares, then I add a 4-inch border. When it is time to arrange the blocks, I lay everything out on the floor and move the blocks around until I have am pleased with the arrangement. I love to make tshirt quilts. It is so much fun to watch the recipient find old favorites or remember why they got a particular shirt. Have fun and don't stress making the quilt.
    Old 11-03-2015, 05:58 AM

I have made several T shirt quilts and the shirts were different colors and materials. I have sashed them most of the time, but my last quilt was not sashed. It was the most difficult. I used pieces of the shirts to fill in the areas that were not squared. I will never do another that way. It turned out great, but the layout of the shirts was something else. Good luck with whichever layout you do.
    Old 11-03-2015, 06:08 AM

Originally Posted by paoberle
    Have fun and don't stress making the quilt.
    Thanks, BUT I am a little stressed because this is important to the person I'm doing it for. I'll just be neat, careful, use sashing and remember that if it weren't for me, the tee shirts would just be sitting in a bag in someone's closet.
    Old 11-03-2015, 08:02 AM

Originally Posted by Manalto
    I'm glad I learned about the interfacing for tee-shirt fabric before I tried to put my first one together. From all the comments here, it sounds like it's essential for successful assembly of a quilt. Learning about the weight was important too, and something I didn't consider.

I'm still wondering (forgive me for being dense) how, in a quilt that you've quilted in sections, to put it together.
    Look up directions for quilt as you go. QAYG and there are many different ways to do this. One I like most is this one http://quilting.wonderhowto.com/how-...achine-423636/ This is all done by machine and no strips putting it together.
    Old 11-03-2015, 08:15 AM

Thanks Carol, that's helpful. I do believe my blood pressure dropped a few points just listening to Rose Smith's voice.
    Old 11-03-2015, 12:33 PM

Sashing is better - much more pleasant for the eye with a T-shirt quilt. Since it will be hung, orient them the same. But, as far as the layout, you have to lay them out and adjust. Only then will the colors make sense and balance. If you don't have a design wall, lay them out on the bed. I would use a sheet on the bed of a similar color to what your sashing will be. Then leave the room and re-enter several times to see if one area looks out of balance. I like to use a sheet because I can roll it up and carry it to my workroom.
    Old 11-03-2015, 01:21 PM

What about all the left over tee-shirt pieces? Any use for them?

About a year ago we had a demo at our quilt show about making infinity scarves with circles of knit cut from tee-shirts. The strips were cut narrow and stretched. Kind of cute. Quite a few of the gals made one. You would just use the bottom inches of the shirt, which wouldn't be used in the quilt anyway.

Another thing to do with the sleeve is to make a holder for your foot control. Sew the end of the sleeve together, slide your control into the sleeve from the inside and wrap what's left from the shirt around the controller. Keeps the controller from scratching your sewing machine bed when traveling with it.
    Old 11-03-2015, 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by klswift
    ...you have to lay them out and adjust. Only then will the colors make sense and balance. If you don't have a design wall, lay them out on the bed. I would use a sheet on the bed of a similar color to what your sashing will be.
    That's been figured out for me. The tee shirts commemorate a charity run that began in 1994, so I'm planning to line them up chronologically, starting in the upper-left corner. As long as I'm going to orient all the squares (or rectangles) in the same direction, I might as well continue to be orderly with the dates. As I mentioned originally, quilts with words on them aren't that appealing to me, so I have to be diligent not to give this project short shrift. The sashing is all the same (it's what I'd call 'technicolor batik'). It was a fabric I chose and will help to unify the colors; they're pretty well distributed over the years anyway. The back is another story. It was the choice of the person for whom I'm making the quilt and "unspeakably hideous" is too kind a description. Oh well, when it's hung up that side will be against the wall - which will probably shrink away in horror.

Originally Posted by maviskw
    What about all the left over tee-shirt pieces? Any use for them? ... infinity scarves with circles of knit cut from tee-shirts...Another thing to do with the sleeve is to make a holder for your foot control...Keeps the controller from scratching your sewing machine bed when traveling with it.
    Genius! I'm glad I asked. Great suggestions.

Last edited by Manalto; 11-03-2015 at 01:45 PM.
    Old 11-03-2015, 02:18 PM

As I was reading through this - my very thought was QAYG. Being that all the shirts are basically(hopefully) the same size really makes this so much easier. Measure the backs and fronts of the patterns, and that will give you the size block you will need to make. You could put the fronts all on one side with the matching backs on the other. QAYG each strip block by block and even do your quilting in each block to make it easier later.
    Old 11-03-2015, 05:41 PM

Eleanor Burns at Quilting in a Day has a great tutorial on a t-shirt quilt!