Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Figured out machine quilting is not for me >
  • Figured out machine quilting is not for me

• Figured out machine quilting is not for me

Old 01-17-2011, 03:38 PM

Joan - you can bring it with you to my house soon and we can practice. It takes time. SOunds like you need to adjust your machine too. The lady at Sew Krazee on Pearl Street, Naomi would help you if you took it in. SHe is nice that way. Otherwise, all I can say is practice. If it was that easy we could all do it. ROFL> DOn't give up the ship. *H*U*G*S*
    Old 01-17-2011, 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by Brenda M
    I got a Innivis 4500D Duetta on the weekend and tried FMQ for the first time yesterday on some scrap material. When I was done I showed my DH and he just laughed and said "What the heck is that!". I have to admit it was a mess. Looked like a 2 year old scribble, but by the sounds of it, the key to mastering this is "practice!"
    Don't give up Joanieu and know that I will be practicing along with you!

We can do it!!!!
    I felt like a 2 year old the first few times I tried it too! I does take a lot of practice, so make some practice sandwiches about 15" square or so, then spend 1/2 hour practicing every day for a couple of weeks at least before you decide whether FMQ is for you or not. Taking a class after I had practiced on my own for awhile really helped also. I still feel like I'm pretty new at it, but I've been at it for almost a year. Now I am at the point that I am confident that I can do a combo of stitch in the ditch and free motion on "real quilts". (Our cat is sleeping on my practice sandwiches :lol:
    Old 01-17-2011, 03:51 PM

I can't stitch in the ditch to save my life. So I don't-I echo quilt, usually. I also use a longer stitch length than normal. About a 3 or so on my machine.
    Old 01-17-2011, 04:13 PM

thanks you guys... I have my stitch at 3.0 then I changed it to 3.5 and I think it is just me. I will practice and practice after work.

Debbie - thanks for letting me know about Sew Karzee - you know I have not been in that store yet... I went by it one day with DH and it was closed (Skip was happy). Let me know when you have time for us to get together again. I would be greatful to be able to come over. I also talked to Nita and might go over there this Saturday...

Well gotta get back to work.. thank you all for your tips and encouragements - gosh do I need them when I am starting something new... :)
    Old 01-17-2011, 11:36 PM

Originally Posted by ckcowl
    it takes practice, no one can just sit down and machine quilt a whole quilt first off. you should start with small projects, like pot holders or place mats when you have mastered those then move up to a wall hanging and keep practicing...working your way up to a whole quilt. it just takes practice
    The last quilt I just finished FMQ has lots of places where the stitches jumped and are bigger than they need be but since it is for a baby and will be washed a lot I didn't worry about it as my niece will be happy no matter what it is like. One thing please---do you need to wash your finished quilts after they are sewn? and why when it will be dirty almost right away?
    Old 01-18-2011, 03:55 AM

A few things I've seen mentioned, mostly for FM quilting is to practice on fabric with lines or plaids.Try a fabric that has gentle swirls or a large print...same idea for all, to get you comfy at practice.
    I make squares of backing,batting & top fabric to practice FM quilting on,mine are usually at least 18"sq.Using the hopping foot,regular tension....it works pretty good.One thing....for me, it takes a lot of time.More than I'd use for bed size quilts.But not a prob as I don't make many big quilts anymore.
    Forgot to say, this is a good use of fabric you'd rather be rid of.
    Old 01-18-2011, 04:12 AM

I just started taking lessons and the gal told me to practice with pencil and paper the designs I wanted to make...over and over to help get them in "my head". I have not started on the FMQ yet but hope to in the next round of lessons. Good luck to you...Allow yourself the same patience you would give to someone else.

Judi
    Old 01-18-2011, 04:32 AM

Practice always helps with everything. I am not that good at it. I was told when doing SID to put your sewing machine on a very slight zig zag stitch, that way when you sew, it is not as noticable it you go out of the ditch
    Old 01-18-2011, 05:11 AM

it takes practice, no one can just sit down and machine quilt a whole quilt first off. you should start with small projects, like pot holders or placemats when you have mastered those then move up to a wallhanging and keep practicing...working your way up to a whole quilt. it just takes practice
    Oh, THAT'S my problem. I started backwards.
    Old 01-18-2011, 05:12 AM

it takes practice, no one can just sit down and machine quilt a whole quilt first off. you should start with small projects, like pot holders or placemats when you have mastered those then move up to a wallhanging and keep practicing...working your way up to a whole quilt. it just takes practice
    Oh, THAT'S my problem. I started backwards.