Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Figured out machine quilting is not for me >
  • Figured out machine quilting is not for me

• Figured out machine quilting is not for me

Old 01-18-2011, 12:34 PM

I'm with you I can't get the machine quilting down. Too many puckers. Have about 4 tops that need to be done. Wish I could afford to have them sent out. Will be watching your topic for hints LOL!!!
    Debbie
    Old 01-18-2011, 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by Joanieu
    The stitches look too small and look like they are all crumped together plus I am not able to keep the stitches in the ditch. It just looks too messy - I am trying it on the quilt I am making for myself.
    Instead of trying to hit the ditch, try using a serpentine stitch. looks great on kids & utility quilts. goes so fast ! While you are quilting, make sure your quilt if relaxed and not hanging down over the edges of your machine if it is not flush in a cabinet. creates tremendous pull on the fabric.
    Old 01-18-2011, 04:55 PM

I envy your ability to do it by hand. I just can't hand quilt - but I have a Tin Lizzie and I can go to town with it. I enjoy getting my quilts completed quickly and they're so much fun. On the 3 separate occasions when I tried to quilt on my regular sewing machine, it was disastrous. It has something to do with the position of my hands - and the fact that my back and shoulders hurt when I'm using the regular machine. Of course, when I tried this on all 3 occasions, the quilts were Queen size and 1 king - so they were very heavy and hard to move. I just decided I wasn't going to do it that way since I have the other way...
    Old 01-18-2011, 04:55 PM

I envy your ability to do it by hand. I just can't hand quilt - but I have a Tin Lizzie and I can go to town with it. I enjoy getting my quilts completed quickly and they're so much fun. On the 3 separate occasions when I tried to quilt on my regular sewing machine, it was disastrous. It has something to do with the position of my hands - and the fact that my back and shoulders hurt when I'm using the regular machine. Of course, when I tried this on all 3 occasions, the quilts were Queen size and 1 king - so they were very heavy and hard to move. I just decided I wasn't going to do it that way since I have the other way...
    Old 01-18-2011, 05:52 PM

even on the new machine - yesterday and a little bit this morning I have tried machine quilting SID around the border of one of my quilts. I tried with and without the even foot, even tried using the quilting stitches (I have a Brother SQ9000) and even just the regular straight stitch. I kept having to use the ripper and remove the stitching.. Jack the Ripper even attacked me a few times. I do not know what I am doing wrong, which is probably everything. So I decided that I will just continue to piece by machine and bind using the machine, but the rest will be hand quilted. I thought I would try machine quilting so I can get some of the quilts done faster, but not working out... Plus even if I did get it to work, I would still hand quilt most projects anyway. Thanks for letting me vent.... :)
    Christmas will come again, and you can spend time practicing on potholders. Small easy, and if you hate it, it will still work as a potholder. Practice makes perfect, and I am having the same issues as you, so you are in good company.
    Old 01-18-2011, 06:00 PM

dont give up, keep going that is how you learn!!
    Old 01-18-2011, 06:09 PM

[quote=smitty]
    Instead of trying to hit the ditch, try using a serpentine stitch. looks great on kids & utility quilts. goes so fast ! While you are quilting, make sure your quilt if relaxed and not hanging down over the edges of your machine if it is not flush in a cabinet. creates tremendous pull on the fabric.
    What is a serpentine stitch? Is that curvy?
    Old 01-18-2011, 06:12 PM

even on the new machine - yesterday and a little bit this morning I have tried machine quilting SID around the border of one of my quilts. I tried with and without the even foot, even tried using the quilting stitches (I have a Brother SQ9000) and even just the regular straight stitch. I kept having to use the ripper and remove the stitching.. Jack the Ripper even attacked me a few times. I do not know what I am doing wrong, which is probably everything. So I decided that I will just continue to piece by machine and bind using the machine, but the rest will be hand quilted. I thought I would try machine quilting so I can get some of the quilts done faster, but not working out... Plus even if I did get it to work, I would still hand quilt most projects anyway. Thanks for letting me vent.... :)
    Don't give up just yet Joanie! I was where you are just a few of weeks ago. I just had to step away from it when I got so frustrated. I agree with others..... practice on small sandwiches..... mutiple times. Get to know how your machine reacts to various tensions, threads, etc. with various feet. It has helped me tremendously. I have not finished quilting my quilt yet.... but I will get it done. I am determined <and hard headed enough> it is not going to "whoop" me! You can do it!!
    Old 01-18-2011, 06:16 PM

I had this happen to me when I forgot to use my walking foot
    It also helps to make sure you have used plenty of basting pens .I only used basting spray and wound up with a big clump at end of border what a mess took eight hours of seam ripping Yuck! Needless to say I learned my lesson.
    Old 01-18-2011, 06:18 PM

Originally Posted by cathyvv
    Originally Posted by thepolyparrot
    Originally Posted by Happy Treadler
    Could it be too much pressure and the quilt is being 'squished' and not able to move forward???
    I don't think computerized machines even have stitches per inch settings any more, do they? My computer-machines don't. They have settings like 1.5 or 2.0 - I have no clue as to how many stitches per inch that's supposed to be.
    Dottie bug here you might try slowing down the machine, to a half power or slower till you get the hang of it the tiny stitches mighit be because your going to fast and having to push the quilt into the presser foot ,, also i have to lower my machine to a lower table because its easer to control the quilt when ti is in my lap.i'am not having to keep adjusting the quilt to keep it straight and acordening folding is better than rolling while the quilt is in your lap. just a thought Dottie bug

I have a brother bc1000. The 1.5, 2.0 etc. is the stitch length. Stitch length goes low to high, 1 - 5, on my machine. So set the stitch length, sew and inch or two, reset the stitch length, sew an inch or two, and so on. Then count the number of stitches per inch.

However, if your stitches are bunching in one place, the problem is not the stitch length. Do you have your feed dogs down? When I put my feed dogs down (which is rare), I sometimes forget they're down and wonder why my fabric isn't advancing...and get teeny, tiny stitches - also known as knots.

Hope this helps. I'm pretty new to the world of quilting and the tool I know how to use best is the seam ripper.
    :-D
    Thanks for that suggestion and I looked and the feed dogs are up. I don't think I have put them down yet on this machine. yep, my stitch lenghts are 1.0 - 5.0 also and some of of the stitches you can not adjust - presaved I guess. I just need to practice a lot more like everyone has suggested. I don't even want to think about FMQ yet especially if I can not do the simple SID with the machine. I will learn it and then I can do some PIF and give to charity, etc (once I get some stash built up). The thing is I really love hand quilting... oh well, back to work and thanks to everyone for the positive feed back. I really love this board. HUGS to all :)