Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Figured out machine quilting is not for me >
  • Figured out machine quilting is not for me

• Figured out machine quilting is not for me

Old 01-18-2011, 06:21 PM

Joanieu, if you don't have a foot that is made just for stitch in the ditch, I highly recommend you get one. The first three quilts I did on my machine were very difficult, but once I got that foot....and once I learned to put my ironing board to the left of my machine, at a 90 degree angle and most of my quilt on it, then I did fine on the quilts that followed.

The ironing board keeps gravity from pulling the quilt down and messing up my stitches.

I am still pretty new to quilting, but I take a great deal of satisfaction in the actual quilting, and I like stitch in the ditch because it has a line I can follow without having to do anything else. :)

Just keep practicing. You will conquer this!
    Old 01-18-2011, 06:28 PM

how did i do that it went with the other posters , i hope you read them all . Also lowering the table my shoulders don't hurt as bad. { aurther/ ites came to visit ,sure wish he would leave now .} Dottie Bug
    Old 01-18-2011, 06:57 PM

Originally Posted by katier825
    What is it that you don't like and are ripping out? Have you tried a stitch in the ditch foot? You're probably being too hard on yourself. Once the quilt is washed, most of what you perceive as imperfections aren't so noticeable!
    I didn't know they make a "stitch in the ditch foot"! Does anyone know if they make one for the Viking machines?
    Old 01-18-2011, 07:06 PM

Originally Posted by katier825
    What is it that you don't like and are ripping out? Have you tried a stitch in the ditch foot? You're probably being too hard on yourself. Once the quilt is washed, most of what you perceive as imperfections aren't so noticeable!
    What is a stitch in the ditch foot? Is that why I always fall out of the ditch. lol
    Old 01-18-2011, 07:27 PM

Originally Posted by Limey
    It is just about impossible to stitch-in-the ditch with a walking foot because you can't see the seam properly but it is good for all-over geometric quiting if you have your "sandwich" prepped with pins or spray.
    That's not universally so - I use a walking foot to FMQ and SID on my Bernina and it's fine. I do have shoulder and neck pain from wrestling the quilt but I don't have issues with staying in the ditch. My trouble comes when I try to put the feed dogs down and FMQ w/my darning foot. YIKES!!! What a mess that was. Glad I just tried it on a scrap sandwich 'cause I would have hated to have to pull out all those stitches!
    Old 01-18-2011, 07:45 PM
    Power Poster

You need to give it another try and another try and another. Practice makes perfect.
    Old 01-18-2011, 08:44 PM

no matter how careful I am a lot of my stitches end up out of the ditch - but unless really bad I just leave it. Once washed it doesn't seem to be real noticeable unless you are looking for it. Anyway, if people are going to critique a gift quilt for that it will be the last quilt they get from me! The will lose their quiltworthyness (I know, not a word but whatever)
    Old 01-18-2011, 10:10 PM

Originally Posted by Joanieu
    The stitches look too small and look like they are all crumped together plus I am not able to keep the stitches in the ditch. It just looks too messy - I am trying it on the quilt I am making for myself.
    Are you using a walking foot? It feeds the top layer thru like your feed dogs do the bottom layer. I always use mine when I am quilting straight lines or gentle curves.
    Old 01-18-2011, 10:19 PM

Did you lengthen your stitches??
    Old 01-19-2011, 12:27 AM

Originally Posted by Scissor Queen
    Usually when I start something new I give it more than a day and a half before I decide to quit. Make some smaller things and practice! You wouldn't expect to be Rembrandt the first time you picked up a paintbrush!!
    I agree. Any form of quilting takes practice. Are you using gloves to help move the quilt or a slick surface to help it slide easier. Also make sure most of the quilt is supported and not pulling against you. I really hated it to begin with but have tried more and am learning as I go. It gets better with practice, practice, and more practice. :) :)