Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Finally back to quilting and looking for a machine >
  • Finally back to quilting and looking for a machine

• Finally back to quilting and looking for a machine

Old 08-20-2015, 09:17 AM

If possible buy from a local shop where the sales folks really know the machines -- they are a resource better than any other...
    Old 08-20-2015, 09:53 AM

Try the Janome 8200 and 8900. Lots of happy quilters have them. They have the 11" harp space.
    Old 08-20-2015, 05:26 PM

I love my brother dreamweaver. It has been the best machine I have ever sewn on. Its not the cheapest but it is also a workhorse and a good investment. You can get a stitch regulator for it but I don't really recommend it. It FMQ very nicely has a large throat and lots of decorative stitches
    Old 08-20-2015, 05:51 PM

Six months before I retired I bought myself the Janome MC 6600P from a very established shop in San Diego. They had advertised it with the sewing table as part of the purchase. I purposely went in late to see the machine, thinking I would check out a few, go home think about the different machines and return the next day. Like you I wanted a new modern machine (my others are a Singer 12-91 circa 1949, and a 1925 treadle machine) and I didn't want to buy something with a lot of things I would never use. The place where I bought it had free lessons for the first 2 years, if you keep the box you want to up grade they give full cost up-grade for 6 months. Needless to say, I took the machine home, set up the table and after the first class I knew I was going to keep the machine. (But just to be sure kept the box and all the packing material for well over 6 months. I even bought the traveling case on wheels - the brand that starts with a "T" so nothing would happen to it while taking my classes to learn more on how to use it.

Two years later I bought the Viking Topaz 20 - it is a sewing and embroidery machine. After being on this site and going to shows I became infatuated with machine embroidery and the Topaz is not an over-the-top embroidery machine and my sister had moved 1300 miles away, so she wasn't here to talk me out of it. But I can honestly say, it is so much fun that I am so glad I bought it! A friend and I get together and have so much fun. And I have made a few quilts with embroidered blocks that turned out even better than I thought they would. Now I just need to get brave and try quilting with it.

So go and try out several brands and several levels. I know my shop would let me buy it on time with no interest, but I ended up paying cash because I could. Ask them too what type of return policy they have in case you get one home and decide you want to up-grade. At first all the bells and whistles seem like a waste, but once you learn how to use them you may want to up-grade sooner than you think.
    Old 08-21-2015, 03:02 AM

Not sure what your budget will allow but I also took up quilting after a 25 year sabbatical and ended up with a Janome 6600p which does just about anything I need, including FMQ. I since have purchased another Janome but decided to hang on to the 6600 because it is such a work horse.
    Old 08-21-2015, 03:16 AM

I bought a Brother Dreamweaver less than a year ago and LOVE it. I am partial to Brother machines though and still have my NX600 . Both of these machines are workhorses and I have never had any problem with either. Also had a Janome 6500 Professional, which I also loved but sold it when I got the Dreamweaver....not enough room for all of them
    Good luck in your search. Sometimes the stores sell the machines they used as demo machines at the quilt shows/expos at great discounts. That's how I got my Dreamweaver - it only had 1,000 stitches on it, came with everything including the very nice rolling travel bags and was discounted almost $1000. Full warranty too.
    Hope you find what you want.
    Old 08-21-2015, 05:05 AM

T he BERNINA 440,550,730,820 al have BSR's that come with the machine.
    Old 08-21-2015, 05:36 AM

It sounds like you're getting some wonderful advice.... but if you're like me, the more choices I have the more difficult it becomes.

I'd suggest you sit down and decide exactly what you want your machine to do. Do you want embroidery? Will you use it? A lot of people want it but then never use it..... like me. Do you want mainly to put tops together? to quilt your tops? Every new machine will have different features and you need to know what you're looking for first.

I don't know exactly where in Wi you're located but the Quilt Extravaganza in Madison will be going on the middle of September and I've not been there but hear it is amazing. You certainly could see a lot of machines there and try them out. I know you want a machine from a dealer close to you..... check out what dealers carry what machines within driving distance from your home. Getting the perfect dealer that will service your machine and give lessons would be something I'd want. You just need to take the time to do the research. And now that you're retired, you have the time, right?

Okay, now I have to say.... I do have an embroidery machine that I purchased used several years ago and I love it. It's an older Viking.... but what do I use the most for my piecing and quilting? I have vintage Singer machines. I use my 1953 FW (Singer 221) to piece just about everything I make. And I love my 1942 Singer 15-91 for quilting. If I don't hand quilt something, it's done on the 15-91. I spend my money on fabric and batting and thread. I'm so happy with my older machines. I can repair them myself.... I know, it's not for everyone, but I'm happy with my set up. I won't be shelling out the cash for an expensive machine any time soon.
    Old 08-21-2015, 06:50 AM

Originally Posted by nanna-up-north
    It sounds like you're getting some wonderful advice.... but if you're like me, the more choices I have the more difficult it becomes.

I'd suggest you sit down and decide exactly what you want your machine to do. Do you want embroidery? Will you use it? A lot of people want it but then never use it..... like me. Do you want mainly to put tops together? to quilt your tops? Every new machine will have different features and you need to know what you're looking for first.

I don't know exactly where in Wi you're located but the Quilt Extravaganza in Madison will be going on the middle of September and I've not been there but hear it is amazing. You certainly could see a lot of machines there and try them out. I know you want a machine from a dealer close to you..... check out what dealers carry what machines within driving distance from your home. Getting the perfect dealer that will service your machine and give lessons would be something I'd want. You just need to take the time to do the research. And now that you're retired, you have the time, right?

Okay, now I have to say.... I do have an embroidery machine that I purchased used several years ago and I love it. It's an older Viking.... but what do I use the most for my piecing and quilting? I have vintage Singer machines. I use my 1953 FW (Singer 221) to piece just about everything I make. And I love my 1942 Singer 15-91 for quilting. If I don't hand quilt something, it's done on the 15-91. I spend my money on fabric and batting and thread. I'm so happy with my older machines. I can repair them myself.... I know, it's not for everyone, but I'm happy with my set up. I won't be shelling out the cash for an expensive machine any time soon.
    Hi Jean
    Do you FMQ on your 15-91? I have a Singer 301A I use for piecing. I am looking for a more modern machine to FMQ and do several different applique stitches. I don't plan on doing any machine embroidery.
    Old 08-21-2015, 07:44 AM

Yes, the reason I first got the 15-91 was for FMQ. The feed dog drops and it works wonders better for me than the fancy $$$ Viking I have. I've heard the 201 drops the feed dogs but I don't know about the 301A. You could go over to the vintage folks. They'd know for sure. I just don't have a 301A or I'd check for you.

What applique stitches are you talking about? Button hole?

If you don't want embroidery, I'd think you could find something not too pricey. But I do love my vintage machines. And, I have a zig-zag attachment for them if I want to use that.