Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Finally back to quilting and looking for a machine >
  • Finally back to quilting and looking for a machine

• Finally back to quilting and looking for a machine

Old 08-22-2015, 08:14 AM

I also have a vintage machine, a Singer 201 from 1951/2. I haven't tried FMQ with it yet but I think it's possible. I just have to figure out how to lower the feed dogs, by lifting up the machine I'm told. I do a good share of my piecing on it and it has wonderful stitches.
    Old 08-22-2015, 08:47 AM

I have a janome, it cost around 1,300 dollars a few years ago. I like it alot, it has a bigger throat and all the stitches that I will ever need. What you want is one that will put your needle down, a good stitch to go around your appliques! this machine has it all I believe it's a 6500 series.
    Old 08-22-2015, 07:02 PM

Go to WWW.sewingmastery.com they have wonderful video tutorial on many Viking machines. I have a Ruby Deluxe and found them more helpful than dealer classes. I will bet you will find sapphire tutes there as well.
    Old 08-22-2015, 07:50 PM

I have a brother sq9050...100 stitches and monograms..tons of feet...been using it for a LOT of sewing for over 2 years now, and no complaints at all. Nice little machine..figure I can buy a ton of fabric by not buying a high end machine..they all do the same thing...if it died tomorrow, I'd go right back and get another one. On line for about $170.00...
    Only thing with new machines...any brand..you have got to keep the lint cleaned out of the bobbin area...much more so than old machines that would sew with a pound of lint in them! It will make all of these little machines skip stitches and generally misbehave..but if you just do a quick lint cleaning with every bobbin change, you'll be fine!
    Old 08-22-2015, 08:50 PM

Originally Posted by Boston1954
    I have a Brother SQ9000 (five years old) It was only $199.00 at Walmart. Has loads of feet, 80 stitches and bunches more. They are now calling it SQ9050. I LOVE mine.
    I agree with Boston1954. I have a Brother SQ9590 and I LOVE it! I still do my piecing with my FW221, but when it comes to doing appliqué or the actual quilting I use my Brother. I got mine at Sears so I end up paying a bit more than Bosto1954 ($249.99), but it's been worth every penny! Hope this helps! 😊

Donna
    Old 08-23-2015, 06:47 AM

The most important thing to me on a quilting machine was the harp space which is why Janome 8900qcp was in the running. There are other brands that have the 11" harp as well. I went with the Janome because I felt it was the best value for the price. I'm not sorry I did. It is a dream to work on a quilt with the extra space between the needle and side of the machine.
    Old 09-17-2015, 05:13 AM

The Janome 8900 has really caught my attention with the harp space. The prices are all over the place on this machine. I am hoping to get one from someone who is upgrading to a newer machine. Thanks for the advice.