Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Finally got a design wall >
  • Finally got a design wall

• Finally got a design wall

Old 05-08-2011, 09:21 PM

Congratulations. Enjoy.
    Old 05-08-2011, 09:39 PM

I'm happy for you. I don't own one, not sure I would use it. Although when I see post of projects on a wall that's when I think it would be nice. Have fun creating.
    Old 05-08-2011, 10:22 PM
    Power Poster

Working on the floor is a lot of back-breaking work!
    I think it's time to check them out!
    Old 05-09-2011, 12:35 AM

I decided on a roller shade, and it just happens a neighbor set one out in front of her house to get rid of after the yard sale. I asked of course, & she was pleased I could use it. It is a 6' width. I plan to have DH make a small wood 3-sided box (2 ends + the front)to install up at the ceiling of my sewing room in front of the one big window. As I don't have any significant wall space, this seems like the best solution. I will layout some clear painters dropcloth plastic on the concrete on a non-windy day, roll out the roller blind, use some spray adhesive, & lay over some flannel or crafters felt (if it holds the fabric well enough). Next, really smooth out the roll to keep it nice & flat; a paint roller on a long handle, with a clean roller will do. I plan to leave the plastic cover on the roller to keep it new & clean. Let it dry a while, trim down the sides & bottom & hang up.
    See this video for the idea. The point in putting it in the box frame: so the larger roll doesn't hit the wall.
    http://www.vanishingdesignwall.com/demonstration.html

I'm sure you could just remove the vinyl from the roller & put the felt or flannel on the roller alone, but I thought the flannel might be too lightweight. Some have sewn an extra pocket in the bottom & put a piece of EMT conduit (like 3/4" diameter) to weigh it down; or any wood dowel as well.
    Old 05-09-2011, 02:40 AM

I don't have one. I lay my quilt on a bed and stand back from it to look. It works for me.
    Old 05-09-2011, 03:22 AM

Originally Posted by cny_sewer39
    I hope you enjoy your wall as much as you can. I have one, but I have not used it yet. I probably will use it for my Rail Fence Quilt class. Yeah!! WoooHooo!! I actually made it myself. I went to JoAnn's (back in NY), and bought 2 yards of white felt. I folded over the top about 2 1/2 inches and stitched the casing. I went to Christmas Tree Shop (also in NY) and bought a black wrought iron looking curtain rod. I put the design wall on the rod and my DH hung it up for me. When the wall is not being used, I have it all rolled up and tied with 3 red ribbons (all I had on hand at the time.) It looks great.

debra
    Dont you just love the CTS...I live there....

I don't have a wall yet but I found that the cheap 1.00 plastic picnic table covers they sell at theCTS have the felt on back and it works great...So I'm just going to hang one of those on my wall and use it.
    Old 05-09-2011, 03:25 AM

Originally Posted by lsb142
    I don't know how I have done without it. I'm a new quilter and didn't think I needed one. Boy, was I wrong. I love it.
    I am fortunate enough to have an entire wall (out in the "shop" but was never quite finished before the house sold.) Now that we are moved in my daughter has one half and I have the other. It's about the size of a two care garage and we have it full. She does crafting, I sew, quilt. Anyway, I nailed large pieces of flannel just under the ceiling all the way to within a couple of inches of the floor. Just covered the whole wall. I can have several small or one large project going at once. If I'm stuck on one, I'll switch and focus on a different project until inspiration hits. I said I "nailed" it up, it's really just a lot of push pins driven into the wall, easy to remove when the flannel needs to go into the washer. I sewed the flannel together to make one large piece.
    Old 05-09-2011, 03:54 AM

My hubby helped me make one.

Got a big, plastic, flannel backed table cloth from Bed, Bath and Beyond. Cut it down to the size I needed. Hubby put hooks on the wall to hang it but you could just pin it.

I love it. It works great for trying out different pattern lay out for the blocks.
    Old 05-09-2011, 04:05 AM

Location: Ohio, the land of 4 seasons. sometimes all in the same week!

a flannel backed/plastic tablecloth works for 8.00 bucks or fons n porter is a bit bigger, works great, available at JoAnn's for 24.00 bucks.
    Old 05-09-2011, 04:17 AM

Pictures please, We'd like to see your design wall.