Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Finally, more time for quilting >
  • Finally, more time for quilting

• Finally, more time for quilting

Old 07-28-2013, 01:04 PM

Congratulations on your retirement! I love retirement. Some days I quilt all day long and let the housekeeping wait. You know the world doesn't end or anything! Have fun.
    Old 07-28-2013, 02:11 PM
    Power Poster

Congratulations on your retirement. Sounds like you have a good stockpile of fabric and kits to help you on your way. By all means enjoy those gift certificates to get something special for yourself.
    Old 07-28-2013, 02:37 PM

Enjoy your time. I dream of being able to retire and quilt but I am not close to retirement yet. I was out of work for over a year. I have been back working full time since April. I really don't like the amt of time work takes away from the rest of what I really want to do. So I bring quilt magazines, catalogs, books to work to dream.
    Old 07-28-2013, 02:41 PM

Congratulations!! I'm so jealous...I'm still a good 20-25 years away from retirement, if not more! I guess that means I have a good long time to stock up on fabric, LOL!
    Old 07-28-2013, 04:16 PM

Congratulations! I just found out that is month that I have a minimum of 4 years 7 months to go. I am glad that I have the opportunity to take Monday and Friday off for about 6 weeks each summer to indulge myself in quilting all day long for two days a week. What a treat! Enjoy your new found quilting time.
    Old 07-28-2013, 04:21 PM

Congratulations! I retired March 2012 and have loved every minute. I joined a craft club last winter and discovered the joy of quilting. Now I am hooked.
    Old 07-28-2013, 04:38 PM

Congratulations - you will love it.

What I like most is getting up in the morning whenever I want, grabbing a cup of coffee and heading to the sewing machine. I usually get an hour or two uninterrupted quilting each morning. The cat and the dog love to come into my sewing room and lay on the floor and keep my company while I quilt.

I volunteered as treasurer of our guild for a couple years and also belong to a craft club. And - I get to go into Lancaster to shop whenever I want!!

Enjoy.
    Old 07-28-2013, 05:09 PM

Don't wait to quilt until the housework is done. Quilt first, and do the housework for movement breaks. Spoken as one retiree to another. Congratulations. I also worked 45 years, and retirement is wonderful. I wanted to read, write, and sew, and that is what I'm doing. I spent way too many years having to go here and there on deadlines.
    Old 07-28-2013, 05:50 PM

I have enjoyed reading how much everyone has treasured the free time from "paid work" and life is GOOD. I have been afraid to take the plunge. All the best as you begin the retirement journey.
    Old 07-28-2013, 06:14 PM

I retired 3 years ago and had already wanted to quilt, but just started this year. I'm loving every minute of it, but there are so many things that I wanted to do when I was working (32 years) but could not, there don't seem to be enough days in the week for me to do everything. It took me a while to really feel like I was retired and didn't have to worry about the job ANY MORE, but it's a wonderful feeling.