Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Finally picked up the Sphinx Retro buuuuut.... >
  • Finally picked up the Sphinx Retro buuuuut....

• Finally picked up the Sphinx Retro buuuuut....

Old 03-02-2015, 11:07 PM

Default Finally picked up the Sphinx Retro buuuuut....

I have to go back and exchange the brand spanking new pedal that doesn't work.

I turned it by hand to check out the stitching. It makes a good stitch so I'm happy about that.

It's been over thirty years since I sewed on such an old fashioned machine. I'll probably be happy with it once it's up and running and I get some practice in. There is a small booboo in the finish but the bright side is I won't be so afraid of messing it up.

I took a break and organized my stuff a little bit. Set aside fabric and batting for several small projects so it doesn't pile up everywhere.

Took a break on my quilt because I have a ridiculously small seam allowance after squaring the blocks because I didn't make background large enough and using stencils for the first time ever.

Learning curves everywhere!

It was time to clean house, daughter was home because she didn't feel good and we goofed off watching Downton Abbey & The Walking Dead before I started cleaning.

I've got to get super organized so sewing doesn't become a chore instead of fun.

We're house hunting so maybe I'll have to put a sewing area on our ridicuously long list of must haves.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 03-03-2015 at 05:07 AM. Reason: language
    Old 03-03-2015, 05:01 AM

A sewing room would definitely be on the list of 'must haves' if we were house shopping!
    Old 03-03-2015, 05:51 AM
    Power Poster

Yes, I recently moved and the most important thing I looked for was a sewing room! Got it!
    Old 03-03-2015, 08:28 AM

Not having a dedicated space has kept me from sewing for years because I hate stringing and piling things in our living space which happens if I work on something large.

I'm losing some of the OCD as I age thankfully.

My kids are almost grown so I don't have to worry about the iron or the rotary cutter or the tension dial.

My daughter has shown some interest in sewing but only to make small items. She thinks quilting is boring.
    Old 03-03-2015, 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by DresiArnaz
    My daughter has shown some interest in sewing but only to make small items. She thinks quilting is boring.
    I started teaching my daughter to sew when she was in Girl Scouts so she could earn badges. She like doing it, but my old Singer didn't like her and she got discouraged. As a Marine, she sewed name tags and patches on her friends' ahd her uniforms, but the machine still didn't like her. Over the years, she has taught herself to knit and crochet with the help of YouTube. Now that she has moved back home, she has started quilting and is having a great time making simple charity quilts. She is using up all my "why did I buy that" fabric and has made some really cute quilts. In addition, she is slowly but surely organizing my sewing room. I think she's trying to make enough room so that she can set up her own machine (I bought her a Singer 301).
    Old 03-03-2015, 09:22 AM

Ha! An ulterior motive-but a good one!

I bet you guys will have hours of fun sewing together. :-)

Last edited by DresiArnaz; 03-03-2015 at 09:23 AM. Reason: spelling