Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Finished my first quilt... >
  • Finished my first quilt...

• Finished my first quilt...

Old 08-12-2007, 04:38 PM

The entire last month has been quite an education. With Leslee and my mother as guides the process of learning to quilt was eased considerably. Machine pieced, and hand quilted, it measures 37 ½ by 26 ½ with two borders and the backing serving as it’s binding. It took me a little over two and ½ weeks (in the spare time between my work schedule) to complete it. Learning to use the sewing machine was probably the biggest challenge, though I think I’ve gotten the hang of it. My favorite part was the hand quilting followed up with designing, piecing and my least favored bit, finishing (probably due to my inexperience with the sewing machine). The corners on the mock binding turned out pretty good but only because I finished them by hand.

I’m taking it in to work to show Leslee and then boxing it to send to Mom, who in turn will take it over to my Aunt Mary and together deliver it. The baby’s mother, my cousin’s wife Anya, doesn’t know I’ve made it. Her baby, Tristan, is seven months old and I think this is a perfect welcome to the world gift.

I’ve already cut out my flower for my Hawaiian quilt since Leslee is at hand to instruct. Also still figuring the design for my next baby quilt and readying materials. Can’t wait to cut and get started.

This was such a neat first experience and as neurotic as I was about each aspect, it turned out well. I was pleased when I finally took it from the machine for inspection. At first I was speechless. After shaking it out and taking the pictures it finally sunk in, I made this. Quilting is great!

Finished my first quilt!
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]1983[/ATTACH]
    Attached Thumbnails attachment-1983.jpe  
    Old 08-12-2007, 04:43 PM

A'Right Steve! Good job! Now we can say the fun has definitely begun! Enjoy! :D
    Old 08-12-2007, 05:21 PM

Congrats Steve, quilt looks fabulous, There is nothing like the achievement of finishing your first quilt. Well done :thumbup: I guess you realise by now that you'll be well and truly hooked, there'll be no backing out now :lol:
    Old 08-12-2007, 05:29 PM
    lin

That is an amazing first quilt Steve! Definitely one to save for a lifetime, no matter how ragged it might get with use over the years. I'm really proud of you. I can't wait to see where you go from here. You have to feel really, REALLY good about this!!! :D I'm so impressed.
    Old 08-12-2007, 05:42 PM

It really is square though the picture made it look all wonky. How does one take a decent picture of a quilt? Even the colors look off in the photo.

Got the Hawaiian appliqué all cut out; I’m using a rich orange similar in color to a miniola and a pale celery green background. I had to cut out three designs from the refrigerator paper before I got myself one I really liked. Actually I was surprised it only took three attempts to do it.

Tonight I'm going through the books and web to read up on Hawaiian quilts so I can be ready for a Leslee lesson. It's a small piece that, including the background, will be only about 14 inches square. Big enough for a pillow or small hanging I'd imagine. Ah well, got to start somewhere. What’s neat is that I’ll be learning to appliqué at the same time.
    Old 08-12-2007, 05:58 PM

Great job, Steve. You get an A+ in my book. I have admired the quilt in your avatar ever since you put it up there, and then to find that is the one you made, and your first one at that.....I got a long way to go. :shock:
    Old 08-12-2007, 07:14 PM

Congratulations Steve! You did a superb job!
    Old 08-12-2007, 07:54 PM

Thanks everyone, the encouragement and kudos given go a long way. I just finished pinning the Hawaiian quilt appliqué I came up with on the backing, and am getting ready to baste it. A site I saw referred on one of the posts gives great instructions so I'm basically just following along one step at a time. Granted it is a small one, but learn as you go works well for me, so I’m just paving the way for bigger projects.
    Old 08-12-2007, 09:54 PM

You are SO hooked!You're going to have some fun now! Multiple projects! Oh, yes, I can see it coming!

Nice job on the baby quilt. Looks like a professional worked on it! Don't tell anyone it's your first. They'll never know!
    :wink:
    Old 08-13-2007, 03:08 AM

Nice job. It will be treasured forever. First because it is your first and the baby and the parents will always think of you wen they see it. You're hooked now!