Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Finishing Quilts >
  • Finishing Quilts

• Finishing Quilts

Old 11-07-2010, 06:24 PM

I like to go from start to finish, and have just grown up in an area that doing it myself, in anything, is the way to go. I think of my daughter, when she was about 3, we weren't allowed to say the H word (help) or she'd have a fit. Her saying at the time was "Monca do it self"
    We bought a house 30 yrs ago that needed so much work, that we did ourselves, it's just the same with my sewing
    Old 11-07-2010, 06:29 PM

Originally Posted by GailG
    Originally Posted by erstan947
    I agree, I can't afford to send all mine out. After the holidays I've got 2 to quilt. I'm not great but I will do my best. I think the more I do the better I will get. I won't know unless I get in there and do it. Happy Quilting!
    I totally agree here, but the thing is I have to let my body heal after I've done a quilt on my domestic machine. I know that part of the problem is my posture and another problem is that my set up is not exactly great. My sewing table has a well for my machine but when I use it, the machine is too far back. So I put the machine on top and pull is closer to me. By the time I've finished with the quilting, my neck, shoulders, back and right hip are in lots of pain. I've done two quilts in the last two weeks....and I'm really in pain. Now, I'll have to heal before I can even think of doing another one. But, I do have a lot of piecing to do, so I can still stay busy.
    I can't imagine trying to machine quilt on a regular sewing machine. I'm like you ... too many hours at the sewing machine are very hard on my body. After a spinal fusion a year ago I have to pace myself. I do my qulting by hand, the old fashioned way, but I find it relaxing. I like the way hand quilting looks, too. I hope you heal quickly and enjoy piecing in the process.
    Old 11-07-2010, 06:33 PM

Because people are afraid that the quilting will not measure - up to the love and time they put into the top. They don't want to ruin it - that's why the professional quilters do so well. I want to call the entire thing my own, but it took a lot of courage and a push from a friend before I got to quilt my tops. I practised on charity quilts first.
    Old 11-07-2010, 07:21 PM

I don't like to quilt in the summer either, so I now have about a dozen to finish. I do put the top, back & binding together & tie with a scrap of fabric so they stay together & are ready to put on the machine. And I enjoy doing the binding too, I think because that's the last thing to be done, then on to the next one.
    Old 11-07-2010, 07:32 PM
    Power Poster

I've notice that there are many other things besides quilting that I don't completely finish until I have what I call my finishing day were many things that need to get done get done.
    Old 11-07-2010, 07:32 PM

Originally Posted by mama's place
    Wish some of you who like the finishing work lived close by.
    Right now I could use some help catching up with the finishing. Always want to try a new technique, etc. Have trouble staying with one thing at a time. One of my resolutions to catch up and not continue to do that.LOL
    My exact thoughts, too bad some don't live near each other.
    I hate doing bindings. I really don't mind doing the cutting, but not my favorite. I enjoying the piecing and quilting, I do my own. I wish I had a long arm, but that's not about to happen, too expensive and no room for one. I do some free motion and a lot of SITD. I like to do all of mine start to finish. I can't afford to send them out. It would be nice if there was a group around that for those who love to do certain parts of a quilt, we could send out to them and do some of their work they don't like. lol. Oh, well that's how things go, we all have to do things we don't really like. Gerbie
    Old 11-07-2010, 07:40 PM

I wish some of y'all lived closer to me! I don't like hand work but love the look of hand-sewn binding. Cutting isn't a favorite either! I would much rather quilt then do any of it, honestly! That must be why I got a longarm 9 months after I began piecing!!!
    Old 11-07-2010, 08:00 PM

I am working on one quilt at a time from start to finish before going on to the next project. I have a lot on my plate now what with moving soon and packing up everything. As soon as I can after the move I'm going to finish the baby quilt I'm working on. Just can't wait to finish it.
    Old 11-07-2010, 08:44 PM

I agree with you. I am learning to quilt my own quilts. It is so expensive to have them done and I just bought an expensive sewing machine (Janame 6600P), so I will be doing my own. By the way, I took the class at the Quilting Show that showed me how to do a large quilt in sections. The teacher wrote the book. I just finished my very first one in sections.
    Old 11-07-2010, 08:52 PM

[quote=Dooneygone]I agree with that. I have been told that it is best to send them out to be finished. When I asked the price, I was told you can get them done as cheap as $70.00. Sorry, I don't have $70.00 to have a quilt finished. So I am learning by myself with books, videos and magazines. And as long as I have found someone who has made a lot of quilts could you answer my question

I bought a quilting foot from the sewing machine store, along with a darning foot. I used the quilting foot and it worked fine for the first five rows and then started clunking, it even disabled my pressure foot, the stitching was knotted on the back and then the bottom of the quilting foot came off. I am supposed to bring it into the store tomorrow but now I am wondering if a worn needle that I have used for regular sewing should have been changed to a new "quilting" size needle. Just wondered if this could have caused that and what size needle is the best size to use for stitching in the ditch. Thanks and I agree with you about doing the quilts yourself. Pauline[/quote

Hi Pauline
    You should put a new needle in when you start quilting a new quilt.
    As for what happened to your quilting foot I couldn't say. Lots of variables...type of machine, thread used, bobbin thread used, needle to name a few. You say it disabled your pressure foot- can't understand that after 5 rows. As far as the bottom falling off it ???? It's surprising but the tiniest piece of thread can cause a problem. Take your pressure plate off and with a small child size paint brush give your machine a thorough clean out. This should be done after each project is finished. Check if the machine is threaded properly. I know if my 6600 isn't threaded properly it will knot up under the bobbin. Even my embroidery machine will give me grief if it isn't threaded exactly.
    I have all my machines serviced once a year. Not all at the same time though. Hopefully I've given you a couple of things to check but sorry I can't say why the walking foot fell apart. I've looked at one of mine and can't see how that would happen except for a faulty part but then I don't know what brand of machine you have. Mine are all Janome. Your quilt shop will be able to advise you the best size and type of needle for your machine. I couldn't live without my walking foot.
    I hope you get some answers at the quilt shop.Happy quilting.