Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Finishing Quilts >
  • Finishing Quilts

• Finishing Quilts

Old 11-08-2010, 08:37 AM

Originally Posted by IT_Nana
    I may have to try one some day. My daughter saw a picture of one in a magazine and fell in love with it, but I thought it would be way too much work to sew all those little squares together. I guess it would be sometime to work at for fun and not trying to meet a deadline.
    IT-Nana,

Try having a stack of squares next to your quilting machine and use them for enders and leaders when you are piecing other quilts. You will be amazed how fast you get them put together without even trying! I'm currently doing that with strings I'm making into new "material" for a string quilt I want to make. It almost seems to make itself!
    Old 11-08-2010, 08:38 AM

I have several quilts unfinished, just sitting around waiting to be quilted. I don't quilt them myself because I figure I worked so hard on them, their kind of like a piece of art to me. If I quilt them myself, just plain and unattractive, it will destroy what I have worked so hard on. Having them beautifully quilted, is like completeing my work of art! The only thing that really stinks with that, is I haven't been able to afford for several years to have them quilted, and so I stopped quilting. I figured, why bother if I can't get them quilted. But the Lord sent me an angel, Daisy, who is on this board, is going to help me with getting them quilted. Thanks a million Daisy!!!
    Old 11-08-2010, 08:48 AM

You do know why you like to put the binding on, because once it is on you are finished with this quilt and you can go on to the next one. Personally I try to have only one quilt going at a time. However, I have two. One I am putting the binding on (tv time)and the other I am still quilting(machine time)

Originally Posted by tuesy
    I try to do a quilt from start to finish. I only have one that I need to quilt (don't like it anymore, so it's outta sight, outta mind)
    Believe it or not, my favorite thing to do is the binding. Don't know why either.
    Old 11-08-2010, 08:49 AM

I've had only one quilt that I sent out...my avatar. I doubt that I will ever do that again. Too costly and not satisfying. There is no sense of accomplishment. I want to get a new regular sewing machine that I think might help with the FMQ. DH always says it's NOT the machine! But I think a good machine helps. So, for now , I have about 5 tops waiting to be quilted. And I will do the best I can on my own.
    Old 11-08-2010, 09:48 AM

Originally Posted by bels
    I've had only one quilt that I sent out...my avatar. I doubt that I will ever do that again. Too costly and not satisfying. There is no sense of accomplishment. I want to get a new regular sewing machine that I think might help with the FMQ. DH always says it's NOT the machine! But I think a good machine helps. So, for now , I have about 5 tops waiting to be quilted. And I will do the best I can on my own.

MY DH is the sort who, at first glance, is very supportive of any of my hobbies, and insisted on getting me just about everything quilting related. On the surface that might sound admirable, but once in place the comments come forth such as "You have the machine that can do .... (insert function) so how come you don't do it.
    My answer is as your DH says.... "it's NOT the machine!" ;-)
    Don't want to sound ungrateful, but I have just not gotten brave enough to try some of the more advanced things.
    (If push comes to shove and he has that conversation again I might be tempted to ask about all the woodworking tools he has that are still in boxes! :roll:
    Old 11-08-2010, 01:24 PM

I have seen some fabulous, over-the-top quilting done on regular sewing machines, like that done by Leah Day, but I know I can't do that on my sewing machine. I know I am very lucky to have a longarm that has allowed me to quilt my quilts and those of others as well. I would rather do the quilting then any other part of the construction of a quilt...except choosing the material and pattern, that's a blast too!!!
    Old 11-08-2010, 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by katesnanna
    I'm surprised at the number of quilters who make lots of lovely quilt tops but don't finish them
    I know here in Australia sending it out to be professionally quilted is expensive.( A friend pays upwards of $200.00 to have hers done.)
    I can understand if the quilt is to go into a show but when they are made with love for family,friends or whoever why not finish them and give them to people to use?
    I'm not sure how many quilts I've made (somewhere near 100) but I machine quilt them all. They don't have to be fancy, straight stitching or a fancy stitch from our machines works well.
    This is not a judgment just wondering why so many quilts that are lovingly made languish on a shelf or in a cupboard when someone could be enjoying them.

I have always done one quilt at a time and seen it through completion. I hand quilt all my quilts as I do not have a sewing machine that does quilting. I hope to purchase a new machine, either a Janome or Brother, that can quilt because my arthritis is getting too bad to hand quilt bed quilts any more.
    Old 11-08-2010, 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by Phyl
    I try to do a quilt from start to finish. I only have one that I need to quilt (don't like it anymore, so it's outta sight, outta mind)
    Believe it or not, my favorite thing to do is the binding. Don't know why either.
    I LOVE doing the binding too!!!
    I sit on the couch, put the quilt over me and hand stitch the binding. I feel so peaceful. I love that I have finished a quilt. It makes me tranquil. I think you and I are the only ones though!!!

:roll: :roll: :roll:
    I like doing the binding for the very same reason (except in the summertime). It's the sandwiching and the quilting process I don't like.
    Old 11-08-2010, 02:56 PM

I like piecing. I hate quilting. If it's going to a long-armer, it gets done fast. If I'm doing it, it sits for a while. So far, I only have one waiting to be quilted, but it's been waiting quite a while. I've sworn to do it when my machine gets back from the shop. It's in for maintenance. (Fighting back tears.) (Not really.)
    Old 11-08-2010, 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by sahm4605
    I like to do the binding also. It is really relaxing for me. I do mine machine on the front and hand on the back. the back part is what I really like to do. mostly because I can take it anywhere or work on it when the kids are up and playing nicely with each other.
    Your comments made me think of my mom. Lost her last year and somedays everything reminds me of her.

Mom was so proud of the way she would bind the quilts. She did it like you - machine on the front, hand sew on the back. Even when time was short to finish a quilt and she would send it out to be quilted, she always did the binding. And I must say it made the quilt!

The last large quilt she did was for my oldest DS's marriage. (She did Grandmother's Fan in the couples' favorite colors for all the grandkids when they married.) She sent it out to be quilted and she was so disappointed that the lady quilted it "too loosely" but my DS and DDIL love it of course.