Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Finsh the bolt stash building >
  • Finsh the bolt stash building

• Finsh the bolt stash building

Old 02-19-2011, 03:29 PM

When I started quilting about 4 years ago I bought the fabric I needed, but soon saw the need for building a stash. When I started stash building I "collected" fat quarters. Recently I realized that while my fat quarter stash was useful, I had times where I needed more than a fat quarter of something to complete a project so went shopping.

Recently I saw a sign at my LQS that said "Finish the bolt and take 20% off". So each time I go in I get whatever it is I "need" and keep an eye out for skinny bolts. So far I've gotten some really nice batiks at a nice price - and it's a great way to build stash of "yardage" as most that I've found have been around 2 yards left on the bolt.

My LQS lady said the discount will apply regardless of how much yardage is on the bolt - just finish it. I need to keep this in mind when looking for backing! She also confessed to building her stash like this as well so we are now in competition :)

Do any of your LQS offer discounts for finishing the bolt?
    Old 02-19-2011, 03:31 PM

I wish they did cause I would take advantage of it!!!

But I do have to say that the shop closest to me has a sale about every 6 weeks or so and it's usually 30 - 33% off all fabrics so I can't complain too much!!!
    Old 02-19-2011, 03:32 PM

Mine offers 25%
    Old 02-19-2011, 03:33 PM

I have had some LQS offer the finish the bolt discount and several that do not offer any discount. So I usually frequent the ones that do offer the discount
    Old 02-19-2011, 03:33 PM

Great idea!
    Old 02-19-2011, 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by DogHouseMom
    When I started quilting about 4 years ago I bought the fabric I needed, but soon saw the need for building a stash. When I started stash building I "collected" fat quarters. Recently I realized that while my fat quarter stash was useful, I had times where I needed more than a fat quarter of something to complete a project so went shopping.

Recently I saw a sign at my LQS that said "Finish the bolt and take 20% off". So each time I go in I get whatever it is I "need" and keep an eye out for skinny bolts. So far I've gotten some really nice batiks at a nice price - and it's a great way to build stash of "yardage" as most that I've found have been around 2 yards left on the bolt.

My LQS lady said the discount will apply regardless of how much yardage is on the bolt - just finish it. I need to keep this in mind when looking for backing! She also confessed to building her stash like this as well so we are now in competition :)

Do any of your LQS offer discounts for finishing the bolt?
    Yes, one of my local QS does that. I have gotten quite a few blenders and designs that would fit many different quilts. If I am buying fabric and ask for a certain amount of fabric and find that there is just a yard or 2 left on the bolt I will get the whole thing.
    Old 02-19-2011, 03:38 PM

My very favorite local quilt store has sale corner and offers 40% off to finish the bolt. I've bought some beautiful fabrics like this. I try to look for fabrics suitable for backings. On occasion, I've found end of bolts for fabrics I already have. Since I like to make matching pillowcases, that's always a plus.
    Old 02-19-2011, 04:46 PM

One of our shops does that, she takes 15% off the total price regardless of the yardage. She also has stash cards that are stamped for each $5 purchase. It takes $100 to fill the card, worth $10 off next purchase. None of the LQS allow the card to be stamped for sale or reduced items but that it okay with me. The other LQS keeps track of your spending, when you reach $300, you get a $20 gift card.
    Again, no sale items are allowed to be a part of that total.
    Old 02-19-2011, 05:04 PM

mine does (whooho) and they even have 1 section of sale fabrics that if you finish bolt..you get 50percent!
    Old 02-19-2011, 05:09 PM

wow...don't think that's possible here