Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Firehouse bed size? >
  • Firehouse bed size?

• Firehouse bed size?

Old 08-10-2015, 07:50 AM
    Power Poster

I agree. They should be able to state what size bed it is and I'm betting twin.
    Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2
    Its been a while since I was in a fire station. Can you call his Captain and ask?? Not sure if they allow personal bedding into the firehouse. I would check it out first.
    Old 08-10-2015, 10:32 AM

My son is a reserve firefighter for our area. That means he isn't assigned to one station but rotates shifts to where they need him. Sometimes he has a bed, sometimes he has a cot in the kitchen to sleep on. Depends on the house. I made him a double quilt for his bed at home, but he takes it to use at the stations. Says it is perfect.
    Old 08-10-2015, 10:39 AM

I would think at least an extra long twin in length and if he is a very big man I would also make it a bit wider to cover his "back side".
    Old 08-11-2015, 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by Dina
    You might consider Googling....which I just did a bit of. I got to wondering, like ManiacQuilter2 asked, if a fire fighter could take personal bedding. It looks like they can, based on a few things I read. I also read that the size of the beds is determined by space and every fire house is different.

That being said....I think you couldn't go wrong with a twin sized quilt. Surely the beds are big enough for fire fighters....some of whom are not small guys. And the quilt wouldn't have to fit perfectly.

But, go Google and see what you find. I just Googled what I wanted to know...examples: What size beds are in fire stations? Can firemen take their own bedding to their fire station? I found several places where the firemen had asked their wives to make nice warm quilts for their beds at the station.

Hope this is helpful. I had fun looking and am just avoiding starting supper anyway.

Dina
    Depending on where he serves, you might consider what they call a super twin size quilt. Plenty big to wrap him in, and can be quickly folded in quarters and laid over the end, or folded in half on the top.
    Old 08-14-2015, 04:42 PM

made one for my DGS; 60inches wide and 80 inches long..(.he's tall ) He carries it back and forth between shifts and says it is perfect. Blessings on all our firefighters!
    Old 08-14-2015, 07:01 PM

Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2
    Its been a while since I was in a fire station. Can you call his Captain and ask?? Not sure if they allow personal bedding into the firehouse. I would check it out first.
    Surely he would get teased on that one. The captains have bigger issues to deal with I' m afraid. Lightweight and warm likely best.