Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • First of all, to each His/Her own!!! >
  • First of all, to each His/Her own!!!

• First of all, to each His/Her own!!!

Old 06-29-2011, 08:18 PM

Just think, if someone hadn't invented the "newest thing" we would not be communicating right now.
    Old 06-29-2011, 08:19 PM

Originally Posted by chris_quilts
    Originally Posted by jlm5419
    Originally Posted by cjomomma
    I completely agree with you second paragraph.
    Some folks just get set in their ways and refuse to change or try something new.
    This reminds me of my oldest son, who is a terrific cook. One Thanksgiving dinner at my house he refused to eat any of my pies because I had used frozen pie crust!
    DH's sisters say I cheat when making pies b/c I use Pillsbury's crusts from the box. Cheating?? Never!! Smart as hell? Yes, ma'am! I make many, many things from scracth but my pie crust sucks so why not use an aid that doesn't taste too bad? Work smarter, NOT harder!!
    I don't even have a large enough counter space to roll one out. I also have a bread machine for that same reason. It's called progress.
    Old 06-29-2011, 08:23 PM

Originally Posted by TonnieLoree
    I don't even have a large enough counter space to roll one out. I also have a bread machine for that same reason. It's called progress.
    AMEN, sister!!! I also have a bread machine and love it b/c can't make bread from scratch that's edible. Afraid to even put it out for the birds. :-D
    Old 06-29-2011, 08:38 PM

[quote=chris_quilts]
    Originally Posted by TonnieLoree
    Afraid to even put it out for the birds. :-D

LOL, thanks for the smile... I even laugh out loud!
    Old 06-29-2011, 08:48 PM

I have a 85 year old hand quilted quilt my GGM and GG made on my bedroom wall..I love it..2 members of my quilt group..hand quilt..I admire all..but my GM once said to me..do you think I'd done half of what she did by hand..if she owned a machine like I had..I had never thought of that before..all quilts are beautiful works of art..personally..I design most of mine.. cut and piece and quilt them..if I had enough money I'd send them out to be quilted..and I still consider myself a quilter!
    Old 06-29-2011, 08:59 PM

Originally Posted by chris_quilts
    Some folks just get set in their ways and refuse to change or try something new.
    This reminds me of my oldest son, who is a terrific cook. One Thanksgiving dinner at my house he refused to eat any of my pies because I had used frozen pie crust!
    DH's sisters say I cheat when making pies b/c I use Pillsbury's crusts from the box. Cheating?? Never!! Smart as hell? Yes, ma'am! I make many, many things from scracth but my pie crust sucks so why not use an aid that doesn't taste too bad? Work smarter, NOT harder!!
    THIS RECIPE NEVER FAILS!
    EASY, FAST, AND FLAKEY.
    The recipe I use has different portions,but the same ingredients. I think the egg and cold water are the keys.

No matter how much you handle this dough it always will be flaky and tender. The dough may be refrigerated for 3 days or it may be frozen until ready to use.
    This recipe will make 4 to 5 single crusts.

4 cups flour
    1 tbsp. sugar
    2 tsp. salt
    1 3/4 cup Crisco shortening (no substitutions)
    1 lg. egg
    1 tbsp. white or cider vinegar
    1/2 c. water

Combine the flour, sugar, and salt in a large bowl and mix well using a large fork. Blend in Crisco until crumbly and peanut-sized chunks remain.
    In a small bowl, beat together egg, vinegar and water. Combine the 2 mixtures, stirring with fork until all ingredients are moistened.

Divide the dough into 5 portions. Wrap each in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
    Old 06-29-2011, 09:02 PM
    pal

I hope you told him that you're glad he's not eating them cause that means more for you!!!!
    Old 06-29-2011, 09:12 PM

The owner of the local quilt shop here in town tried to teach me how to hand sew during one of my visits. I did one nine patch block. It turned out okay, but most of that time---the time that every hand quilter says is "sooooooo relaxing"---was spent getting frustrated because I had trouble getting my needle though the fabric, keeping the edges of the pieces together, and keeping my stitches even. I had to tell her thanks for teaching me, but hand quilting just wasn't for me.

So I tried "real quilting" and I suck at it or get so frustrated to the point of hating it. And that's why I have a machine. But just because I use a machine doesn't mean I don't appreciate the patience and the skill of those who hand quilt.

Here's what I don't get in the arguement of the traditionalists who say machine quilting is cheating or any quilt made by a machine is not a "real quilt". We cut the pieces by hand, pin the pieces by hand, some draft patterns and templates for the pieces by hand, usually the fabrics are hand picked from a quilt shop or fabric place of some sort. Yet once that quilt hits a sewing machine its no longer considered a "real quilt"? Because the step of piecing and/or quilt stitching was done by a machine and not with your bare hands holding a needle and thread? And unless you're using a computerized long arm something actually has to control those stitches. That something would happen to be the quilter. So my personal opinion is just because the stitches were made with the help of a machine it doesn't make the quilt any less hand made.
    Old 06-30-2011, 12:00 AM

ah does she use a rotary cutter ---a cutting mat--- hmm old fashion quilters didn't have them times change things improve thank goodness for that lol
    Old 06-30-2011, 01:35 AM
    Administrator

let's all remember that the overwhelming majority of quilters who prefer one method (or collection of methods) to others are just exercising that preference. they might also be encouraging others to at least try those methods.

it's a rare quilter who will tell others that hers is the only correct way. she most likely approaches life in general that way, too.

as we continue this conversation, please remember that 99.99999% of the people you meet who say "I always" or "I never" are just making you aware of their own preference. they are most likely not criticizing you if you happen to do it otherwise.

it's not a good idea to paint with too wide a brush. the mess it makes is very difficult to clean up. ;-)