Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • first guilt meeting last night >
  • first guilt meeting last night

• first guilt meeting last night

Old 02-15-2011, 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by Vanuatu Jill
    I was given a name tag when I paid as a guest. There was no mention at the meeting of guests, or new members. I guess I should have made more of an effort, but it would have been nice if the chairlady who seemed to run the meeting at least made mention of any new guests/members.
    I totally agree! I wonder how many potential members they lose that way.
    Old 02-15-2011, 12:28 PM
    Banned

I have NEVER been to a guild meeting that made a guest PAY to attend....most guilds allow 2 free getting to know US meetings before they ask you to pay membership.

I have belonged to many guilds over the years and currently belong to the worst one ever in the history of quilt guilds. They give a whole new meaning to words "outsiders are not welcome"! Most of the people I get to know in the guild do not come back after 3-4 months....they can feel the lack of care/warmness and would rather forfeit their dues than keep coming back to listen to yet another trunk show while noshing on junk food!

Having said that, I do belong to 3 other guilds in the state and 2 down in TX and they are all different, but way better than my only local guild!
    Old 02-15-2011, 12:44 PM

It tried for over a year to contact the lady in charge of the guild here, she never returned my calls. A few years later I went to a quilt show and talked to the new president and she seems so friendly. The meetings are on a Saturday morning starting at 8:30 for new members. I don't do mornings, so I haven't gone. My DH worked midnights for 18 yrs and is now on days, but I'm still on the midnight sleeping schedule.
    Old 02-15-2011, 12:46 PM

I joined my local Guild last December and haven't regretted it. I have met many nice people there and they try and make you feel very welcome. I even joined a Friendship group made up of some of the members.

They do charge $5.00 when there is a speaker for non-members.

I found out about this guild from someone on this board. She mentioned a Quilt Show that I ended up going to. I spent 2 days in awe. I also won the grand prize raffle quilt which was appraised at $1875.00.

Please go back! You won't regret it. Plus you get discounts from Joann's and some LQS and shows.
    Old 02-15-2011, 12:58 PM

My guild has appointed two members (I'm one of them) as official greeters. Our job is to welcome everyone (old and new) at the door especially concentrating on any guests. We take them on a mini tour of our large room set up, answer any questions and either sit with them during the meeting or partner them up with another guild member. We then call them the next day to thank them for coming, answer any other questions and remind them that we'll be sending them the newsletter with all of the info for the next meeting. This seems to be helping out our guests and potential new members.
    Old 02-15-2011, 01:03 PM

I too went to my first guild meeting this year. We meet in Rancho Cucamonga, The Nite Owls, it was amazing!! Now, I did go with a friend, but everyone there was so friendly. They showed us around, told us what was going on, it was great.
    A good way to meet people is to attend a workshop. My friend, Pat, and I took a class that was hosted by a member, she taught us the "quilt as you go" method. Interesting, I doubt if I will ever make a quilt using that method, but I learned something new. The project was a tiny little incubator quilt for the neonatal unit at the local hospital. So, it was a win-win situation. Our next class is "mile a minute", and again the finished project, only 24 x 24, will be donated to the hospital. I am looking forward to the learning experience.
    Try it again, don't be so shy, most of them don't bite! :D
    Attached Thumbnails attachment-161998.jpe  
    Old 02-15-2011, 01:09 PM

Well, that is what is so wonderful about guilds: you don't HAVE to bring anything, or join any projects or DO anything, just come and enjoy and get as involved as you want, where ever your heart leads you.

I belong to 5 guilds, although I only attend 2 of them. I belong to one so I can access the newsletters and take advantage of the speakers/classes. I belong to another because they do so many community projects that I love. One of my guilds I used to attend and probably will again someday, but it meets in the evening and about 20 minutes out of town (also, lots of drama there!). The two guilds that do I attend are very different from each other. One is huge (MoonlightQuilters.org) and has LOTS of projects, retreats, speakers, drama, committees, classes, etc. The other guild (my favorite) is smaller (25-30) No rules, no dues, no officers, just lots of support, sharing, camaraderie and ideas. Love them!!

Originally Posted by Vanuatu Jill
    Originally Posted by Corky
    Please go back and try to talk to some members. Some guilds are so wrapped up in their projects they forget to welcome new members. However, that said, it is up to you to open yourself to conversations, you are the captain of your ship. Did you bring something to share? Show and Tell? Do that at the next meeting. It will give the other members an idea of who you are and what you do.
    I was told I didn't need to bring anything-then I got there and there were several people that had quilts to share-a few brought small hand-projects-there were tables all around the room-one for their library and a small section of second-hand books for sale, sign up for a workshop, for a raffle, for a donation of placemats they are making for senior's meals on wheels, and a table with a bunch of "stuff" (scraps, bits and pieces) I guess were for sale, and a table with refreshments for the break. If I go back (I leave next month for 6-8 weeks), I will be sure to bring something to show and tell, and try to meet a few ladies.
    Old 02-15-2011, 01:53 PM

Our guild does make guests pay a small amount when there is a guest speaker that the guild has paid to speak. We've seen a lot of great nationally known people that way and they are costly to get, most of the time so that seems fair.

Our guild is also trying to welcome new people more than in the past. Our new members wear a special ribbon to identify themselves. We have about 130 members but people don't make it to every meeting.

The best way I found to get to know people when I first joined was to take a few classes, sign up to volunteer on a project and go to the annual retreat. The first year I went to the retreat I hardly knew anyone but I had a ball and met people who became good friends.
    Good luck~
    Old 02-15-2011, 02:18 PM

Sorry you felt so alone, but I am similiar. I will not go up and start a conversation with someone. I have always been shy. But once I know someone, watch out - I can talk your arm off! PM me sometime and we can chat about stuff.
    Old 02-15-2011, 02:24 PM

How does one go about finding a quild?