Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • first guilt meeting last night >
  • first guilt meeting last night

• first guilt meeting last night

Old 02-15-2011, 02:26 PM

I'm so sorry that the guild you visited was so unfriendly. I've only been in one guild but they always had people sign in.... if you were a guest there was a box to check and the beginning of the meeting was to introduce guests. I remember that I felt a little out of place the first time I attended but there were lots of projects that they were working on and I didn't have a clue what they all were talking about. I caught on after a couple of visits. It was a very friendly group and I still have contact with some of them even though I've moved hundreds of miles away.

Please go to the next meeting....... when you pay at the door to attend the meeting, tell the person that you are new and looking for a friendly group to get involved with. Ask her/him if there is a newcomers group or ask for the last month's minutes so you can familiarize yourself with the projects that they are working on.

It won't take long and you'll be joining in on a project and will get to know people that love to quilt just like you. Good luck.
    Old 02-15-2011, 02:27 PM

Do a search (I use Google) for "quilt guild missouri", and you'll find a bunch that way.
    Old 02-15-2011, 03:38 PM

Our guild also has an official greeter at the front door. The President always asks for guests and new members to introduce themselves, and we have ladies who are self-appointed "greeters" and make it a point to talk to the new people.

Don't be shy...visit one of the project tables and start a conversation by introducing yourself as a visitor. I am sure they will make you feel welcome.
    Old 02-15-2011, 03:39 PM

Another way is to contact quilt shops in your area, or look in the yellow pages (yes, they do still exist!!) under quilter or long arm quilter or similar. They will usually be able to give you information.

Originally Posted by leevenora
    How does one go about finding a quild?
    Old 02-15-2011, 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by Shelbie
    My guild has appointed two members (I'm one of them) as official greeters. Our job is to welcome everyone (old and new) at the door especially concentrating on any guests. We take them on a mini tour of our large room set up, answer any questions and either sit with them during the meeting or partner them up with another guild member. We then call them the next day to thank them for coming, answer any other questions and remind them that we'll be sending them the newsletter with all of the info for the next meeting. This seems to be helping out our guests and potential new members.
    What a great idea! I need to suggest this at our guild! I bet your guild grows with all these welcomed guests!
    Old 02-15-2011, 03:45 PM

Oh I hope you do go back to your Guild. Once you get to know some people, you will just love it.
    Old 02-15-2011, 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by Shelbie
    My guild has appointed two members (I'm one of them) as official greeters. Our job is to welcome everyone (old and new) at the door especially concentrating on any guests. We take them on a mini tour of our large room set up, answer any questions and either sit with them during the meeting or partner them up with another guild member. We then call them the next day to thank them for coming, answer any other questions and remind them that we'll be sending them the newsletter with all of the info for the next meeting. This seems to be helping out our guests and potential new members.
    That's a great idea. I went to one guild meeting and the only one who talked to me was another lady who was also new. I never returned and I was really interested.
    Old 02-15-2011, 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by Vanuatu Jill
    I went to my first guild meeting last night, Marcie Baker from Alicia's Attic (Colorado) was guest speaker. Since I have never been to a class or guild meeting before, or to a quilt show for that matter, I really enjoyed it. I only wish I had more money with me-I would have loved to buy a couple of the tools/notions she had! Anyway, there must have been about 100 people there! I didn't meet anyone, unfortunately. I sort of felt invisible, and I'm a bit shy, so I find it hard to introduce myself. Anyway, I tried! It would be nice if guild members were a little more conscience of new people attending, to try and make them feel welcome. I'm glad I only paid as a guest for the night.

I agree, present members should have acknowledged the newbies. But you had a good time, so thats a plus. Next time maybe you could introduce yourself. There is always a first time. If then you are still feeling awkward, find another quild. I wouldnt want to belong to a group that has a bunch of stuffy old women in it.
    Old 02-15-2011, 06:26 PM

OLD??

Originally Posted by suebee
    I went to my first guild meeting last night, Marcie Baker from Alicia's Attic (Colorado) was guest speaker. Since I have never been to a class or guild meeting before, or to a quilt show for that matter, I really enjoyed it. I only wish I had more money with me-I would have loved to buy a couple of the tools/notions she had! Anyway, there must have been about 100 people there! I didn't meet anyone, unfortunately. I sort of felt invisible, and I'm a bit shy, so I find it hard to introduce myself. Anyway, I tried! It would be nice if guild members were a little more conscience of new people attending, to try and make them feel welcome. I'm glad I only paid as a guest for the night.

I agree, present members should have acknowledged the newbies. But you had a good time, so thats a plus. Next time maybe you could introduce yourself. There is always a first time. If then you are still feeling awkward, find another quild. I wouldnt want to belong to a group that has a bunch of stuffy old women in it.
    :shock:
    Old 02-15-2011, 07:04 PM
    Kas

I thought you were going with a friend? I agree that they should mention the guests. We always do and also point out new members. My first time I only knew one person, and her table was full, so I met the other ladies at my table. If you are in rows, I guess it would be harder to meet people. Sign up to work on the raffle quilt or the charity you support. That is a great way to meet others.