Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • First Quilt >
  • First Quilt

• First Quilt

Old 06-25-2020, 07:19 AM

Pocoellie, Thanks so kindly. I'll give things a try with just piecing together the blocks. It's going to be fun getting things so that similar colours aren't together, and the wide block strips don't go next to each other.

No, we really don't have much in the way of big thrift shops. We have a lot of church thrift shops, and a few regular shops, but most are very expensive for what they are selling. And for the most part, many of those are closed due to the flu pandemic.

If you look up the Morongo Basin, you will see that there are basically three towns along State Highway 62. They are Yucca Valley, population about 30,000, Joshua Tree, population about 7,000, and 29 Palms. population about 26,000. The two big stores in this 25 mile stretch of highway 62 are WalMart and Home Depot, We have a few chain supermarkets, and then the rest of businesses consist of Mom and Pop small stores. The majority of businesses are eating establishments, tattoo parlours, beauty shops, and bars. Then we have loads of churches. From my house I can see seven of those. So, there really isn't much in the area for about 60 miles. That's why I do most of my purchasing online. Saves time and fuel, and weaqr and tear on my truck and my nerves.

If it weren't for the flu pandemic, I could go to yard sales, but even those are pretty much non existent. For some reason, many people heard that people are being allowed to go back to work, and think the flu problem is gone; and they think they don't need to wear masks. So the flu problem is one of the worst in California.

But enough of that. Just kind of letting you know that just about nothing is available where I live, except for food and fuel.
    Old 06-25-2020, 07:28 AM

: When I finally get down to putting the quilting thread in, where should I place them? Should I just follow the places where I already have sewn on the blocks? I imagine I would start in the center of the quilt, and sew down the center, and then flip it 90 degrees and do that again. After that, I imagine I would just follow the places I've sewn until I get to the edge. From one video, they say to sew along the edge anywhere form 1/8 to 1/4 inch from that edge.

I guess the binding goes on last. I'll probably use the remains of my jelly rolls to do that. Will have to join enough of them to make it all the way around, plus about 10 inches, if I remember correctly.

Also, I will have to wait for more needles I didn't know I needed, those being quilting needles. Apparently regular (Universal) or top stitch needles aren't really designed for the quilting process.. Is that correct?

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 06-25-2020 at 05:43 PM. Reason: shouting/all caps
    Old 06-25-2020, 07:29 AM
    Power Poster

I also have not seen much in the line of "quilting type cottons" at yard sales or thrift stores. And I am including "fabric that is in garments" too.

Occasionally, I will find a bonanza, but not very often. I have not seen many sewing machines, either. The ones I have seen are not to my liking.

Old 06-25-2020, 07:38 AM

I use Universal needles for pretty much everything. I have heard that top stitch needles are really good for piecing but have not tried them yet. I don't know why you couldn't use your Universal needles and/or top stitching needles for the actual quilting process. But that is just my opinion. I'm not a needle expert & also don't match my thread with the type of needle I'm using. Hopefully you will get a better answer on the needles from someone else. I would suggest you do a "sample" quilting block before you start on your quilt. Just make a little sandwich of a block, batting & backing & do a bit of quilting on it. That way you can make sure the tension is right on your machine when you get ready to quilt your actual quilt. I like to jot down the tension selection that I make for the quilt in case I have to change it for another project before I get the quilt completely quilted. I'm not good at numbers & remembering when I make changes like that.
    Old 06-25-2020, 07:50 AM
    Power Poster

It is also "legal" to tie a quilt, too.

Although if you are having trouble using your hands, that might be a challenge.
    Old 06-25-2020, 08:08 AM

osewme, The Singer machine I have, has automatic tensioning. Not sure it works for the quilting process, but will do that test piece to make sure. I will have to purchase another cotton batting section so I can do that. I don't want to cut into the twin size batting I already have.

As it is, I won't be doing the quilting for some time. Will take me a while to accumulate the materials to do that.

At the same time I am practising straight line quilting, I will try a bit of free hand quilting to see how that works. Apparently the sewing machine speed, and how fast you move the fabric through the needle area determines your stitch length, as the stitch length is set to zero.
    Old 06-25-2020, 08:39 AM
    Power Poster

Free hand - or free motion - quilting - one can/should drop the feed dogs before starting.
    Old 06-25-2020, 08:43 AM

bearisgray, Yup, watched a YouTube tutorial on this. The young lady explained it all in easy to understand terms.
    Old 06-25-2020, 01:58 PM

Caley-do you have a walking foot? If so, I would just do a diagonal grid both directions. FMQ takes a of practice, unless you "instinctively" have the talent, of which I do not, but know a couple local quilters who can't cut or sew a straight line, but can do FMQ on an elcheapo Brother machine, no FM foot on a bed sized quilt, and can make small(1.5") vases with flowers, etc., they obviously have the talent, but I can do a fairly decent meander and loop de loops, I don't even attempt anything more complex, and it's taken me over a dozen years to do as good as I do. I don't want to discourage you, just want you to know it takes practice, practice, practice, etc. I think you've done a wonderful job on your blocks though, so keep up the good work.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 06-25-2020 at 05:43 PM. Reason: shouting/all caps
    Old 06-25-2020, 02:12 PM

pocoellie, Yes, the Singer machine came with a walking foot. I will do the diagonal (corner to corner) quilting.

Does anyone know of a good marker for fabric that won't ruin it? There are so many out there, I've not a clue as to which to purchase, so I defer to the experienced. I will also be purchasing blue painters tape so I can sew a straight quilting line..