Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • First Time At a Quilt Show >
  • First Time At a Quilt Show

• First Time At a Quilt Show

Old 07-04-2010, 06:03 PM

Look at the quilts on display first. Pay attention to the ones you don't like. Study them. Figure out what you don't like about it and make a mental note so you don't do the same thing on your quilts. If allowed take pictures of both your favorites and your least favorites.

Second, do a fast walk by of the vendor booths. That gives you an idea of what everyone is selling. Then go back thru the vendor booths and do your shopping.

Take small samples of the fabrics you are trying to match.

I carry a small notebook that lists all the things I own - like rulers, patterns, odd thread colors (so i don't buy them again), and books. Keeps me from buying duplicates.
    Old 07-04-2010, 07:29 PM

Imatopper had a great suggestion about taking a list of things you already have. I am going to do that, myself. One thing I take with me is the yardage requirements for various projects that I seem to do frequently...a particular apron, a certain bag, a notebook cover, placemat and table runners, etc. That way, when I do see fabric I like, I know how much I would need to buy.
    Old 07-05-2010, 08:29 AM

Originally Posted by Pam B
    Imatopper had a great suggestion about taking a list of things you already have. I am going to do that, myself. One thing I take with me is the yardage requirements for various projects that I seem to do frequently...a particular apron, a certain bag, a notebook cover, placemat and table runners, etc. That way, when I do see fabric I like, I know how much I would need to buy.
    These are all good suggestions. So many of us seem to buy the same pattern, fabric twice or sometimes 3 times. If I'm still looking for fabric to finish up a project, I'd take small samples of the other fabrics, stapled to a paper, along w/ me. Then I can match up new fabrics or contrast, whatever. Also someone else mentioned making a quick go thru, noting which booths you want to specifically go back to, to shop at. Then you won't miss anything or feel rushed later on. Make sure to give yourself enough time to see everything. You'll prob. be surprised at how much time you'll spend looking at everything. Many booths will have demos on their products, so that eats up lots of time too. Have fun!
    Old 07-05-2010, 08:56 AM
    Power Poster

Plan a break to let your mind rest. Visual overload can be a creative killer.

Some of our smaller local shows have the vendors in the same building or even next to the quilt displays. It is easy to walk back to the vendors and purchase whatever you want. Normally, Pat and I look at the quilts first and then go shopping. (That way I don't need to carry bags around the displays - it can get crowded and they can get heavy).

If the show is large or the vendors are in a different building, my approach depends on time and money. I may make a pass through all the vendors to see what everyone has and then decide to go back and make my purchases. It's important to note the name and position of the vendor. If it's a special item or there is limited quantity - get it right away.

Careful not to get carried away. It's very easy to get caught up in the excitement of it all. Sounds like you have a plan and a shopping list.

Most importantly: HAVE FUN!!!!!!
    Old 07-06-2010, 01:51 PM

ann clare, I'll now be accompanied by my aunt, who has also taken up quilting. I'll let her know that some of you are going to meet up and that it would be nice to meet other UK quilters.

I'll be in touch nearer the day.

White Gloves? :shock: To be honest, I didn't think anyone would be allowed to touch the quilts on display. I thought they would be for just looking at and drooling over :D

One thing I forgot that I also want to pick up whilst there is a pattern for the Bow Tuck Bag/Tote. I've loved this bag since seeing the tutorial on another thread recently and want to have a go. So that's something else to spend my money on.

I'm hoping that the display quilts jog my brain into gear. I'm wanting to have a go at 'something' different from the usually, 'traditional' patterns/blocks I'm doing at the moment. Haven't been able to put my finger on what it is yet, but hopefully, I'll find it at the NEC.