Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • First time quilting and need help >
  • First time quilting and need help

• First time quilting and need help

Old 03-10-2011, 08:04 AM

Lori,
    If you used the Quilts for Kids kit, life is easy. Start in middle, use the corners of the square blocks to keep your lines semi-straight. Since they want the borders quilted more heavily I did parallel lines of decorative stitches (If your machine has any) about the width of pressure foot apart on all the borders. You could also 'echo quilt' around each square patch. I make placemats for Meals on Wheels also and do my trial designs and practice on them. Then the placemats go to the local Meals on Wheels to be distributed with the Easter meals.
    By the way, I do not see the need for a walking foot for these small quilts with fairly thin batting. Just set you machine for medium weight fabric, about a #3 stitch length, and slow down. Have fun.
    Old 03-10-2011, 08:07 AM

Originally Posted by Lori Peercy
    I am going to quilt my first quilt a small like baby quilt. I just need to know for sure what to do! I have been told or perhaps I read it, to lay backing face down on surface (I am using a table) smooth all wrinkles out and tape down making sure it is taunt (sp?) when smooth place batting on top smooth it out and place top of quilt face up leaving a surplus of backing and batting around quilt top. 1) I am using safety pins but don't know how close to place them. I am going to use masking tape to make digonal line and use tape to make sure I am quilting straight. I have a walking foot attached to sewing machine. 2) I don't know where to start with the quilting. 3) what do I do about starting and ending lock stiches? Really nervous as this is also for Quilting for Kids. Any help would be appreciated! Thanks
    You mentioned using masking tape? I find that the "painter's tape" works better and comes off easier leaving no residue. You also forgot one other thing - Relax, and Have fun! And don't worry about making it perfect, it's not supposed to be perfect, just done. :) Show pics!
    Old 03-10-2011, 09:14 AM

#1. I start my diagonal quilting from one side near the middle & sew across then sew back across from the other side.

#2. My walking foot DOES back stitch

#3. I always use my walking foot when sewing quilts no matter how thin they are otherwise one layer shifts.

#4. I use a ruler and run my first chalk line and after that I just 'eyeball' the other lines.

my two cents worth. enjoy making the quilt.
    Old 03-10-2011, 09:20 AM
    Power Poster

start stitching with a 1.0 stitch (small ones) and then change to 2.2 or 2.4 and end with small stitches again. then clip threads front and back.
    here are a few tips
    http://www.debbiemumm.com/Projects/Q...irections.aspx
    http://www.generations-quilt-pattern...ine-quilt.html
    http://www.ideas-for-quilting.com/si...equilting.html