Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • First time quilting and need help >
  • First time quilting and need help

• First time quilting and need help

Old 03-09-2011, 05:11 PM

I am going to quilt my first quilt a small like baby quilt. I just need to know for sure what to do! I have been told or perhaps I read it, to lay backing face down on surface (I am using a table) smooth all wrinkles out and tape down making sure it is taunt (sp?) when smooth place batting on top smooth it out and place top of quilt face up leaving a surplus of backing and batting around quilt top. 1) I am using safety pins but don't know how close to place them. I am going to use masking tape to make digonal line and use tape to make sure I am quilting straight. I have a walking foot attached to sewing machine. 2) I don't know where to start with the quilting. 3) what do I do about starting and ending lock stiches? Really nervous as this is also for Quilting for Kids. Any help would be appreciated! Thanks
    Old 03-09-2011, 05:15 PM

You are doing everything you can. I bast my quilts by hand with big stitches. Start in the middle of the quilt. it makes me nervous. Go for it. good luck
    Old 03-09-2011, 05:19 PM

Hi-good on you for giving it a go! You have described "basting the quilt sandwich" correctly, you want your pins to be about 4 inches apart (no steadfast rule here), and start pinning from the CENTER of your quilt, working out toward the boarders. If you are stitching straight, or "in the ditch" (stitching in or just next to the seam lines where your patches are sewn together:, start with a few stitches VERY close together, practically on top of each other, to lock them where you begin. Same if you need to end your row of stitching, make your last few stitches VERY close together or on top of each other to lock. You can sew over a bit of stitching you already have done if you need to to take you to another direction for quilting on your top. Walking feet aren't meant to sew backwards, but a few very close stitches are fine. You might want to take a few scraps from your quilt, "sandwich" them together and practice first. Good Luck!
    Old 03-09-2011, 05:23 PM

Thank you sewing suz
    Old 03-09-2011, 05:25 PM

You are doing everything right. Start in the middle of the quilt at the top roll the right side up so it will fit in your machine and go for it. Good luck.
    Old 03-09-2011, 05:26 PM

Thank you so much! Am just nervous I guess.
    Old 03-09-2011, 05:30 PM

Do I need to start in the middle even if doing diagonal lines? I thought I would start at the top left hand side and work my way down to the bottom right hand side.
    Old 03-09-2011, 05:31 PM

I've only done a couple of things (some placemats) but one thing you can do is -- take a deep breath and r-e-l-a-x. Try quilting a practice piece. It will give you a LOT of confidence. I sent my placemats to my sis for Christmas and she thought they were wonderful! I didn't even have to tell her not to look too close!
    Old 03-09-2011, 06:51 PM

I tried using tape (painters) when I first started. Bad idea. Unless you can sew a perfectly straight line, you will be picking tape off with the tweezers!:(
    Old 03-09-2011, 07:36 PM

All the replies you have received are great information, and the only thing I would strongly suggest, is getting yourself a pair of gloves designed for machine quilting. The flexible fingertip grip gives full control with less resistance and drag on the fabric. These gloves enhance hand and wrist support for reduced fatigue and tension in hards, arms, shoulders and neck. I found it really difficult to move my material with bare hands, and these gloves made all the difference in my control while sewing.

Good on you for asking questions before you start...best of luck..