Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • flannel charm pack >
  • flannel charm pack

• flannel charm pack

Old 12-23-2016, 12:42 PM

Default flannel charm pack

MSQC had a darling flannel charm pack on the daily deal a couple of days ago. There is no way you can launder a charm pack multiple times before you use it. So, what would you do about shrinkage?
    bkay
    Old 12-23-2016, 01:29 PM
    Banned

I personally wouldn't worry about it. Just use other non- washed fabrics with it.
    Old 12-23-2016, 05:23 PM

Maybe sew the charms together for the top and then wash, especially if you are using cotton for backing.
    Old 12-23-2016, 09:50 PM

Originally Posted by amelia0607
    Maybe sew the charms together for the top and then wash, especially if you are using cotton for backing.
    I wouldn't wash a top before quilting. You'd end up with a real mess, and especially with flannel.
    Old 12-23-2016, 10:04 PM
    Kas

Soak the squares in warm water. Gently squeeze, then place them in a lingerie bag. Toss into the dryer.
    Old 12-24-2016, 01:33 AM
    Power Poster

I've used plenty of flannel without prewashing, nothing bad has ever happened. In a quilt shrinkage is determined by the whole package... top, backing, batting, amount of quilting all plays a role. Personally I wouldn't worry about it. When the quilt is all done ( quilted and bound) I would ( and always do) launder the quilt gently with cool water then tumble dry. They have always come out great. I mix fabrics too, flannels with regular cottons, some washed, some not- I've never had a problem with the finished project due to laundering
    Old 12-24-2016, 12:37 PM

I don't wash my flannel either and certainly wouldn't wash a charm pack. I wash my quilts in warm/cool water and tumble dry low. Have not had any problems with shrinkage. Like ckcowl i use a mix of fabrics in my quilts.
    Old 12-24-2016, 03:11 PM
    Banned

Originally Posted by ckcowl
    I've used plenty of flannel without prewashing, nothing bad has ever happened. In a quilt shrinkage is determined by the whole package... top, backing, batting, amount of quilting all plays a role. Personally I wouldn't worry about it. When the quilt is all done ( quilted and bound) I would ( and always do) launder the quilt gently with cool water then tumble dry. They have always come out great. I mix fabrics too, flannels with regular cottons, some washed, some not- I've never had a problem with the finished project due to laundering
    Agreed. The only time you would have a problem is washing in hot water, followed by a really hot dryer. Why do people DO that, anyway? There's no need to nearly boil fabrics to get them clean.
    Old 12-25-2016, 06:07 AM

I wouldn't wash the flannel charm pack either - just sewing them up. I remember Jenny saying not to prewash charm packs - not sure if this applies to flannel, but if you prewash it will be more difficult to manage sewing them together and messy.
    Old 12-25-2016, 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by popover
    Agreed. The only time you would have a problem is washing in hot water, followed by a really hot dryer. Why do people DO that, anyway? There's no need to nearly boil fabrics to get them clean.
    I agree! If you look at the care label on the end of bolt it says-wash warm, tumble dry low. I truly don't understand the need to "wash 2-3 times in hottest water" many seem to do.