Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Fleece tie blanket! >
  • Fleece tie blanket!

• Fleece tie blanket!

Old 10-30-2013, 01:03 PM

When I make a fleece blanket, I round the corners, put right sides together and stitch most of the way around it with a 3/4" seam, leaving about an 10" opening on one side. Grade the edges (trim one longer than the other, but don't trim the 10" opening), use pinking sheers on the rond corners. I turn it inside out and then stitch about 1/2" from the edge -- closing the opening as I stitch. I sometimes do a very big meander through the middle so it does not shift.

I have been doing this for years and now I have some little bits who like to untie things.
    Old 10-30-2013, 03:42 PM

I did one like that (stitch and cut fringe like) years ago for my DGD and it did fine, was washed lots and held up well.
    Old 10-30-2013, 05:02 PM

I buy 1 1/4 yards of one color and 1 1/2 yards of the backing that will become the frame for the front. Cut off selvages, straighten the store cuts and cut the print smaller than the solid by 2 1/2". Center them wrong sides together and bring the back over the front, mitering the corners. Stitch close to the raw edge and it will look like 1" or 1 1/4" binding.
    Old 10-30-2013, 06:26 PM

This website shows directions for fleece blanket edges: http://www.linusidaho.org/finish-a-fleece-blanket.html

I have done many different types for Project Linus. My favorite for work sessions with groups is the braided loop edge, which is really a finger crochet of loops. Personally I like the look of fleece blankets where we punch holes around the edge with the skip-stitch rotary blade and then crochet a yarn edging. Using specialty fuzzy yarns can give a fun look.

I agree that a tied edge is not the optimal type. I have seen double layer fleece with edges tied so loosely that they are falling apart. A strong tight knot is lumpy. In both cases, the tie ends often go in the child's mouth or are stretched to the point of distortion.
    Old 10-31-2013, 09:01 AM

I quilt my 2 pieces of fleece together and then cut fringe.
    Old 10-31-2013, 10:11 AM

I have sewn them wrong sides together and then just cut little loose fringes. A gal that was cutting my fleece at Joann's suggested that. I probably sewed in about an inch and a half.

I have also sewn it with a pillowcase turn and top stitched it like someone mentioned. It has gone through many washings and still looks good.

I also tied 3 sides and then turned one of the ends in and stitched it. I feel not everyone likes tickley things under their chins.

Connie
    Old 10-31-2013, 11:28 AM

I've made the fringed ones for kids, but for adults I use the same binding I put on regular quilts. It's not as fancy, but everyone loves them.
    Old 10-31-2013, 02:53 PM

I have made several fleese blanket this way, I only sew 2 inches from the edge and and then make about 1 1/2 inch slits. It works fine, some people don'e like all that long fringe tickleing them.
    Old 11-02-2013, 08:15 PM

I love the feel of fleece blankets, but also hate the lumpy look and feel of tied blankets. I've made several where I stitched the two layers of fleece together leaving about 3" around the outside, then cut the fringe. First I did a straight stitch, then I did a zig zag over the first stitch line. Be careful cutting the fringe so that you don't cut into your stitching line.

After making several blankets with the fringe, I started getting tired of cutting all that fringe. Now I lay the two pieces of fleece right sides together and pin it all around. Trim off the selvages and square up the ends. Then, I use a dinner plate placed face down on each corner and use my rotary wheel to round up each of the corners. Stitch a 1/2" seam allowance along all sides and leave about 15" open for turning. Turn the fleece right side out, and whip stitch the opening closed. Then I topstitch about 1/2" to 5/8" around the entire quilt to keep the two pieces from rolling or bunching up. They turn out great and are quick and easy.
    Old 11-03-2013, 02:01 AM

OMG!!!! Finally another human uses wubbie ( I pronounce it the same just spell it different )
    I always say a blanket keeps you warm a wubbie gives you love.

Sap you rock!!!