Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Flimsy plus flannel, no batting >
  • Flimsy plus flannel, no batting

• Flimsy plus flannel, no batting

Old 12-21-2022, 02:05 PM

Default Flimsy plus flannel, no batting

I want to make wheelchair quilts (30 x 40) for care facilities in my community here in FL. I am wondering about the possibility of not using batting, just pre-washed flannel for the back and quilting it. I do know that it's not technically a quilt if it's only 2 layers, but I have a lot of beautiful fabric I want to use and I have a lot of flannel. My goal here is to make many small quilts that will be used and will make people smile, at the same time, decreasing my large stash. Has anyone done this, and how has it come out. I would do a good amount of quilting on them since they will be subject to "heavy-duty" laundering. Opinions, please.
    Old 12-21-2022, 02:44 PM
    Gay

I think it would be a great idea, providing the flannel is washed in warm/hot water to pre-shrink. They would be more cuddly than having batting as well
    Old 12-21-2022, 03:08 PM

I wonder about the size/shape. I am thinking about the corners getting stuck in wheels. As to the no batting issue, I think your idea is great. Many people who are sedentary, feel chilly but not cold. And I know that I often feel chilled in an air conditioned room. A lightweight cozy throw would be very nice.
    Old 12-21-2022, 05:19 PM

I saw a pic of a wheel chair quilt and it looked like corners were "snowballed" so they wouldn't interfer with the wheels.
    Old 12-21-2022, 05:46 PM

I've seen those too, but when I asked, they said 30x40 was what was wanted because they could also be put on the end of the bed.
    Old 12-22-2022, 02:09 AM

Grammyjo, that's a lovely idea. If you are concerned about the weight of the quilt, add a second layer of flannel for the batting and then a flannel backing. Nice thing about the flannel -- it won't slide off their lap as easily.
    Old 12-22-2022, 04:11 AM

I have a king size "quilt" I made with no batting, just a flimsy and flannel. I love and it's held up well over the past several years. I think making them for care facilities is a wonderful idea.
    Old 12-22-2022, 05:16 AM

My church has been making wheelchair quilts 30x40 for years. We've never had anyone tell us they got caught in the wheels of the chair. The flannel doesn't slide off the laps very easy. I made myself one and use it on chilly Florida mornings while I have my coffee. I also put it on my side of the bed for a little extra warmth. I always wash the flannel in hot water and dry it on high heat to shrink it. I'm amazed at how much it shrinks.
    Old 12-22-2022, 07:18 AM

My Aunt made both my children baby quilts with flannel back & no batting. They were my favorite quilts because our winters get really cold and children need to be covered when going between house & car. The quilts wrapped the child up nicely. For a wheelchair, I would “snowball” the corners. I think it’s a wonderful idea and Bless you for doing this.
    Old 12-22-2022, 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by grammyjo
    I want to make wheelchair quilts (30 x 40) for care facilities in my community here in FL. I am wondering about the possibility of not using batting, just pre-washed flannel for the back and quilting it. I do know that it's not technically a quilt if it's only 2 layers, but I have a lot of beautiful fabric I want to use and I have a lot of flannel. My goal here is to make many small quilts that will be used and will make people smile, at the same time, decreasing my large stash. Has anyone done this, and how has it come out. I would do a good amount of quilting on them since they will be subject to "heavy-duty" laundering. Opinions, please.
    The idea is grand but Please be aware of the corners. I sit in a chair and am alwaye having to grab everything up away from the wheels. The snowball corners will help with the the wheel problem but may not completely prevent it. Just because a quilt has snowball corners does not mean it cannot be used on a bed. Most of the people receiving the quilts will be much warmer as the facilities normally keep then on the colder side to help keep down infections.

Momma would have loved your warm but simple quilts.