Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Flimsy? >
  • Flimsy?

• Flimsy?

Old 02-28-2014, 03:24 PM

I learned the term flimsy for a quilt top here on QB, and because it seems so very appropriate to me, I adopted it right away. That automatically indicates that it is just the pieced top and no layers or anything done past the piecing of the top. If it is pinned and layered, for example, it is no longer a flimsy.
    So anyway, just MHO, but I like the term flimsy and find it says what I mean to say.
    Old 02-28-2014, 03:44 PM
    Power Poster

Right on, WildYard!

With all this controversy on whether flimsy is acceptable or not ...
    .... I hate to guess how much more of a controversy the "sandwich" that you just described!!
    Another perfect descriptor IMHO!
    Old 02-28-2014, 07:41 PM

Ahmmmmm, I be the QUEEN of flimsies!!!! They store sooooo much better. I only quilt them when I have a need for a finished quilt. I LOVE making them for the challenge of color and technique. LOL
    Old 03-01-2014, 02:44 AM

I don't really use the word "flimsy" all that much, but I sure like getting "squishies" in the mail!
    Old 03-01-2014, 06:04 AM

Originally Posted by AngeliaNR
    A wagga is an Australian utility quilt/rug:

http://www.collectionsaustralia.net/nqr/wendy.php

I love learning about quilts, quilting terms, and quilters from around the world!
    This is a link to a wonderful story. But you have to remember that "the end of the last century and the beginning of this one" refers to 1890's and early 1900's. There are a lot of references to time in this manner. I guess people just didn't think their writing would last till the "next" century.

I think "flimsy" is a wonderful description of a quilt top that is not yet "sandwiched". And yes, sandwich is another word that was picked up by someone and caught on. We learn new words and new meanings every day. I caught on to flimsy right away, seemed to know right away what it meant, and I am sure it is not going away.
    Old 03-01-2014, 07:13 AM

Could it possibly be a term for a quilt with no batting, like a lot of people in the south make, because they do not need the heavy warmth of batting? If it really is to refer to a quilt top, I will stick with "quilt top", as flimsy just sounds so negative.
    Old 03-01-2014, 08:23 AM

QuiltE, Thanks for the list. I have printed it out and will keep it with all the other things I have printed out and are living in a safe place (that I can't remember). LOL Sometimes I just had to wonder what is being posted when initials are used. Now though I can figure it out. Thanks.
    Old 03-01-2014, 08:23 AM

People like to make up new words. Say "thank you" to someone. Most likely you'll get "no problem" in reply. "You're welcome" seems to have disappeared. And who came up with "it was so fun" instead of "it was such fun" (and why). On any home decorating show they are going to "change out" some feature instead of just changing it. If you want to call a quilt top a flimsy, fine. I'll stick with quilt top; that's fine too.
    Old 03-01-2014, 10:04 AM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by AlvaStitcher
    QuiltE, Thanks for the list. I have printed it out and will keep it with all the other things I have printed out and are living in a safe place (that I can't remember). LOL Sometimes I just had to wonder what is being posted when initials are used. Now though I can figure it out. Thanks.
    AlvaStitcher ... You're welcome and glad you feel it will help you. I was so lost at times when I first came to the QB and trying to work my way thru the alphabet soup maze. That's why I put it together in the first place and even now, I still have to go back and check some of those "daffy-nitions" at times.
    Old 03-01-2014, 10:35 AM

Location: Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho

What is a FART? I have no idea. Well, I know what a fart is, but not for quilting. I use flimsy to talk about my quilt tops and never thought it was negative. I will still use it and it won't offend me, but if it offends you, can't help you with that. There are so many other things going on in the world other than to let 'flimsy' upset a person. I have quite a few flimsies and I'm waiting to buy backing for them. Mostly they are wall hangings and my newest quilt. If FART doesn't bother you and flimsy does, that is strange!