Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • fmq on king size >
  • fmq on king size

• fmq on king size

Old 05-12-2012, 01:12 PM

Default fmq on king size

I am almost finished with the top of my King sized quilt, i only have one applique left. I have started thinking about what i want to do about the free motion and have been getting confused about what i should do. I really want to do something that looks like this http://freemotionquilting.blogspot.c...of-pearls.html

on the water section of the quilt and something like this( I was doodleing in class so please dnt judge the drawing skills lol) on the sky.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]334873[/ATTACH]

but what i dont understand is if i have to start in the middle of the quilt to prevent bunching how am i supposed to make these patterns across the entire quilt? any suggestions tips or pictures of examples are appreciated because im pretty stuck right now. TIA

also this is the almost finished top

[ATTACH=CONFIG]334871[/ATTACH]
    Attached Thumbnails 2012-05-12_17-02-49_65.jpg   2012-05-12_16-56-41_947.jpg  
    Old 05-12-2012, 01:25 PM

Looking good! When I FMQ a large quilt I usually divide it into quadrants & quilt a section at a time. I do start towards the middle, work my way around the area & back to where I started then move on to the next section. I've done a few like this with good results. Hope that makes sense!
    Old 05-12-2012, 01:31 PM

Thank you=) and ok that makes sense... maybe il do the pebble kind of patter in sections like you said and then go back and do the long wavy lines across the whole stripe...
    Old 05-12-2012, 01:34 PM

Dividing it in quadrants is a great way to go. If you're worried about the continuity of the design, try staggering the edge where the two quads will join so there is not a visible line where they join. Looks like a gorgeous quilt!
    Old 05-12-2012, 01:41 PM

thank you...so it seems like its not a requirment to start at exactly the middle and work my way out? just the general area of the middle?
    Old 05-12-2012, 02:00 PM

That's nice. You might want to try basting it with water soluble thread. I've done that before, using a large stitch and a grid pattern about a foot apart. Then you can start quilting wherever you want. When you are done, the basting will wash out. You can find it at some quilt shops, Red Rock Threads has it also. It may seem pricey at first glance, but it goes a long way. Use it in the top and bobbin.