Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • FMQ is Not just Meandering >
  • FMQ is Not just Meandering

• FMQ is Not just Meandering

Old 10-28-2013, 09:35 AM

I meander on almost all the charity quilts I quilt because it is fast.

On my own quilts I like to use fillers. In fact, I enjoy quilting MUCH more than piecing. I don't do much continuous line though.
    Old 10-28-2013, 09:47 AM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by Skittl1321
    I meander on almost all the charity quilts I quilt because it is fast.

On my own quilts I like to use fillers. In fact, I enjoy quilting MUCH more than piecing. I don't do much continuous line though.
    So why not do it on your charity quilts ... yes meandering is faster, but the more you practice the fancier styles, the more accomplished you can become .............. and quicker too!
    Old 10-28-2013, 09:53 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltE
    So why not do it on your charity quilts ... yes meandering is faster, but the more you practice the fancier styles, the more accomplished you can become .............. and quicker too!
    Because on my quilts a 12" square can take me 8 hours; that is my entire weekend of quilting.

Charity quilts tend to be 48-60" squares. Even assuming I quilt less densely (because dense fillers are not good on lap quilts) I'm not spending 20+ hours on a charity quilt. I try to quilt 10+ a month for my guild (about 30 minutes to 1 hour each): too few people even offer to quilt them. If I took 3 months a quilt, we'd never get any donated. Nor would I have any time at all to work on my own quilts.
    Old 10-28-2013, 09:54 AM
    Power Poster

I see ... so they are not all your charity quilts, but you do the LAQ for the tops others have prepared.
    Old 10-28-2013, 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltE
    I see ... so they are not all your charity quilts, but you do the LAQ for the tops others have prepared.
    I don't do long arm quilting. I free motion on a domestic machine. (There is another myth: FMQing is not necessarily LAQing).

I have as much ownership in the quilt as the person who made the top, and so does the person who later does the binding. Each person in the chain has to have some ownership in it, or pride in worksmanship is lost. But no, I do not piece the tops.
    Old 10-28-2013, 10:34 AM

Originally Posted by dunster
    I don't think I have ever just meandered on a quilt. I don't care for the look - reminds me of a mattress pad. There are many quilters online showing a great diversity in FMQ designs. And there are major shows that showcase machine quilting. I actually think the trend is away from meandering.
    That mattress pad look (shudder) is because of the constant repetition of a pattern (or lack thereof) in an all-over design. Looks like a computer program did it, for better or worse.

That said, my own quilting skills are such that I simply cannot shove and prod and smoosh my quilt through my DSM along the lines of a marked pattern. Baptist fans?! Hah. I have trouble following a simply curve. No matter how many times I read Gaudinski and Hargreaves and try, try, try, I end up with something fit for the cloth recyling basket.

So everything I do in decorative FQM is freehand. Sunbursts, ocean waves, stars, doodles, meanders and stipples.
    Old 10-28-2013, 10:42 AM

Holice, if you would like to see some totally unique and extraordinary but not at all traditional FMQ done on a DSM, go to http://www.e-quilterscorner.com/qc_newsletter/ and check the fall 2013 newsletter for the Star Wars quilt.

People aren't all meandering, but some may have shaken off their feathers.
    Old 10-28-2013, 11:04 AM

I love that I learned to free motion.At first I just did meandering or stippling,and still do it for some things if I'm in hurry,but I love outlining flowers and objects,or adding different designs and am getting better as I go.It's like doodling with thread! Fun stuff!!
    Old 10-28-2013, 11:16 AM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by Skittl1321
    I don't do long arm quilting. I free motion on a domestic machine. (There is another myth: FMQing is not necessarily LAQing)......
    My apologies for seemingly touching a nerve here

Yes, I know that FMQing is also done on a DSM ... that's what I do, and honestly, I have no interest in owning a LA. Perhaps a S16 or similar, but not a full out LA.

So nice that so many of you can work together to create these quilts for charity.
    Old 10-28-2013, 11:18 AM

It is the discussions like these that takes it all out of me .....
    Simple pleasures become never good enough chores !