Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • FMQ is Not just Meandering >
  • FMQ is Not just Meandering

• FMQ is Not just Meandering

Old 10-30-2013, 10:40 AM

I've enjoyed this discussion. I disagree with the initial premise that most people think FMQ is meandering. I think everyone understands that FMQ is a method of quilting, not a quilting design. Some like a lot of quilting on a top and some of us don't, some like fancy and some don't. In my opinion, it's your quilt and you quilt it the way you want to and know how. But I have enjoyed how some of you have given reasons why you have chosen to use the patterns you have. I ALWAYS enjoy seeing all your quilts and especially when the photo shows the quilting. I'm just learning and you give me lots of inspiration.
    Old 10-31-2013, 03:36 AM

There is a book out available called Mindful Meandering. This is not your normal meandering, it is stars, and hearts, and leaves, etc. The meandering comes from continuous quilting in a random manner, but if a person wants say flowers, you could meander flowers, with leaves, all over your quilt. There are some quilts that a traditional meandering stipple is best, like backgrounds, where you want your artwork in front to really pop. So meandering or pantos or custom work all have a place in the quilters choices. Thanks
    Old 10-31-2013, 03:45 AM

I love my pantographs!! When I look for different ones on line, I sometimes find them under continous line quilting patterns. Meandering is just one way to FMQ. YOu should check out Leah Day's Website or tutorials. Now, that gal can create a masterpiece and she does it all by FMQ. It is amazing to watch her thread paint.
    Old 10-31-2013, 03:55 AM

I agree with you!
    Originally Posted by raedar63
    It is the discussions like these that takes it all out of me .....
    Simple pleasures become never good enough chores !
    Old 10-31-2013, 04:18 AM

Originally Posted by #1piecemaker
    I love my pantographs!! When I look for different ones on line, I sometimes find them under continous line quilting patterns. Meandering is just one way to FMQ. YOu should check out Leah Day's Website or tutorials. Now, that gal can create a masterpiece and she does it all by FMQ. It is amazing to watch her thread paint.
    I have a question about using a pantograph for FMQ. I'm a newbie at FMQ, and so far only stipple and do loops. But how do you use a pantograph with FMQ? Our local long armer uses pantographs by following the design with a laser. But I can't figure out how you do it with FMQ which is done by moving the fabric through the machine rather than LA which is moving the machine over the fabric?
    Old 10-31-2013, 05:45 AM

Originally Posted by Belfrybat
    I have a question about using a pantograph for FMQ. I'm a newbie at FMQ, and so far only stipple and do loops. But how do you use a pantograph with FMQ? Our local long armer uses pantographs by following the design with a laser. But I can't figure out how you do it with FMQ which is done by moving the fabric through the machine rather than LA which is moving the machine over the fabric?
    I disagree with your definition of free motion quilting. What the longarmer is doing is also free motion quilting. Just as your stitching isn't guided by feed dogs or an embroidery machine, a longarmer doing a pantograph is doing free motion quilting because, when working this way, the longarm sewing machine is not computer guided; it moves in free motion where the longarmer takes it.

Pantographs aren't designed for use with domestic machines, because like you said- they are meant to be followed with a laser guide.

A few ways to use them.
    1) create a stencil of the panto and mark the quilt with the design.
    2) Trace the panto onto thin or water soluble paper and quilt over it, then tear or wash away the paper.
    3) Use a pen and trace the panto many times to get an idea of the lines to follow, then attempt to make the design on your own without using it as a guide.
    Old 10-31-2013, 12:22 PM
    Banned

Almost every company that sells stencils make stencils like the pantograph. They are usually about 12" square and have the full repeat of the design.

It is my belief that when fmq is discussed it refers to the domestic machine. I have never herd anyone say " how do I FMQ on my long arm as free motion is about the only way to use these machines ( with the exception of computer driven machines)

When I posted the question I certainly did not imply that I disapproved of meandering but rather that there is more than the one design...also loops.

However, I do see meandering and other type overall designs misused. This is not only my opinion. To me simple meandering is not appropriate on a 1930's reproduction quilt as the design was not used then. Neither is a flower pantograph consistent with a quilt that looks like it was made for a man.

Last edited by Holice; 10-31-2013 at 12:34 PM.
    Old 11-18-2013, 05:22 AM

Originally Posted by Weezy Rider
    I like Charlotte Warr Anderson. One Line at a Time. I can and do FMQ, but I prefer to highlight a special fabric piece by NOT quilting it. I'll outline instead or even just tack. The fabric is the whole reason for the quilt, not the stitches.
    I know Charlotte. Her landscapes are amazing!!

sandy
    Old 11-18-2013, 06:44 AM

I have had Harriet Hargrave's book, Heirloom Machine Quilting, for many years. The copyright date on it is 1995. There are some beautiful machine quilted quilts pictured. It is a great resource for machine quilting for an antique look. It is also a good resource for preparing the quilt, batting, tools, etc. I would recommend the book for any quilter's library.
    Old 11-18-2013, 07:40 AM

Originally Posted by Holice
    It is my belief that when fmq is discussed it refers to the domestic machine. I have never herd anyone say " how do I FMQ on my long arm as free motion is about the only way to use these machines ( with the exception of computer driven machines).
    Longarm quilters have several options but they do call working on the front without computer as free motion. Longarm quilters also have the option of using rulers, and pantos. Just like with DSM quilting there is a learning curve and many start with meandering.

www.mqresource.com is a machine quilting forum that shows lots of pictures of machine quilting with discussion and support.

craftsy.com has quite a few machine quilting classes. I especially liked Cindy Needham's.

On QNNtv.com there is a quilting show called "Quilt It" with segments showing quilting on Handiquilter machines both the longarm and the sweet sixteen. I think the instructor on this month's videos made an interesting point. She tries to master something new on each quilt but certainly reuses her basic skills again and again.

I think each quilt differs and the amount of quilting is just one of the decisions.