Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • FMQ Question >
  • FMQ Question

• FMQ Question

Old 11-15-2010, 07:28 AM

I just finally finished my first ever FMQ quilting project. It was a lap throw that I donate to the Nursing Homes in the area. My problem is during quilting the top thread finally breaks and when I find the problem, the thread has separated and bunched into a little ball and it can't go thru the eye of the needle. I have been using good quality 100% cotton thread that I get from JoAnn's. What could be the problem. I just hate having to stop and rethread the machine. It is a real pain not to mention takes a lot of time.
    Old 11-15-2010, 07:31 AM
    Banned

What size needle are you using? Mine does that if I use too small of a needle to carry the thread. Or sometimes the thread gets caught around the spindle and does that.Hope this helps.
    Old 11-15-2010, 07:32 AM

I had that problem just yesterday -- with just straight stitching!!! I changed out the needle and no more problems. I think the needle had a burr in the eye....even though I'd been using it for quite some time.
    Old 11-15-2010, 07:49 AM

Are you sure the thread is actually good quality? It sounds like you might be hitting slubs in the thread.
    Old 11-15-2010, 07:54 AM

Sounds like a needle size problem to me. Make sure you are using the right size and I always like a new one for each project.
    Old 11-15-2010, 08:49 AM

The smartest thing I ever learned from Daystyle Designs was a self-threading need, to pull the "leftover" thread into the batting after cutting off the broken part. She calls it a cheater needle. But it does sound like you're using a thread/needle combination that doesn't fit. I use as heavy a thread as possible and a top-stitch needle. Also too tight of a tension setting can cause this.
    Old 11-15-2010, 09:09 AM

Yep, sounds like you need to change to a different sized needle. Try a topstitch needle with a large eye which causes less friction on the thread. If you are using a 50 wt cotton use an 80/12, any thicker use a 90/14.
    Old 11-15-2010, 09:30 AM
    Power Poster

sounds like you need to change your needle. we tend to forget sometimes that they get dull and will fray your thread. it is recommended to change the needle with every new project or every 8 hours of sewing time which ever comes first. you would be amazed what a difference a new needle can make. but just because you (believe) you are using good quality thread, that can still be a problem. i have spent $17 on a cone of thread at a quilt show that i could not use at all...it was (GARBAGE!!!) but came from a very reputable company...and source...sometimes the thread gets old, or weak, or wet, or what ever...sometimes it breaks alot and you wind up saving it for basting or utility sewing of some sort because it just will not work in your machine. so, if a new needle does not fix the problem the next step is to try a different thread.
    Old 11-16-2010, 01:13 PM

Same problem here with blanket stitch applique, went to larger needle--problem solved. Being a new needle probably didn't hurt either. :)