Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • FMQ!!! What am I doing wrong????? >
  • FMQ!!! What am I doing wrong?????

• FMQ!!! What am I doing wrong?????

Old 11-17-2010, 11:19 PM
    Kas

Originally Posted by sentimentaljourney2974
    Manufacturers strongly suggest to 'activate/magnetize your bobbin case' and never use plastic bobbins. Use metal bobbins only. If this is not done there will be bobbin issues eventually. My sewing machine repair person taught me this. Of course he may have cheated himself out of repair charges. One of my manuals states this as well. I learned this when plastic bobbins first came out and we were deciding which to use (metal or plastic). I know a metallurgist (metal engineer) and he said it makes perfect sense.
    My old Pfaff only came with plastic bobbins. I had this problem also. I changed every tension I could with no improvement. Two repair shops and $200 later, still not fixed. One of the shops was the Pfaff dealer. I now have a Bernina. But even though I couldn't FMQ with the Pfaff, it still pieces like a dream with no pinning. I loved the IDF.
    Old 11-17-2010, 11:24 PM
    Kas

Originally Posted by sentimentaljourney2974
    I've also wanted to say on this website...First, I am old school. My grandmother taught me to quilt. I cannot imagine what she would think about 'computerized machines' or 'quilting machines' that make your quilt all stiff and over threaded. I know how I feel. Some quilts I see are for show only. What happened to 'quilting' the way women used to quilt, out of necessity for your family, comfortable yet nice to look at too?
    Well, most people don't have the "need" to make quilts to keep their families warm. We make them to make ourselves and others happy. And besides, you can buy a comfortor made in China cheaper at Walmart than you can make a quilt, even with cheap fabric. If my family depended on my quilts to stay warm, they would all be sleeping under yardage of fabric. I am so behind in my actuall quilt making. I have lots and lots of fabric, though! :)
    Old 11-17-2010, 11:44 PM

I had that problem recently, only my loops were smaller than yours. My troubleshooting research said the loops were caused when the stitch length and the manual movement of the FMQ were not in agreement. I was on a basting stitch (5), but I was FMQ'g too slowly to accommodate the long stitch. So I switched to a smaller stitch (3) and moved at the same speed and no loops.

Since I like the longer stitch, I FMQ'd quicker and that solved my problem. Might be worth a try if you're still having a problem.