Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • folding fabric >
  • folding fabric

• folding fabric

Old 01-31-2012, 07:48 AM
    Power Poster

I folded mine with a 6x24" ruler. Large quantities go in the back of 48x72" x 24"deep cabinet and shorter, less quantity goes in the front.
    Old 01-31-2012, 07:54 AM

I too like the look of the mini fabric bolts. so I just ordered 300 boards from Amazon.com. I'll get my DGD to help me fold when they come
    Old 01-31-2012, 08:21 AM

Wow, great idea, Great tutorial. Thank you for sharing. It's all so pretty to look at!!
    Old 01-31-2012, 08:37 AM

I'd like to know.....is there a minimum amount that you put on the boards; or is all your fabric, regardless of yardage, on a board?
    Old 01-31-2012, 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by normasews
    It truly depends on where you're going to be storing your fabric. For me, the shelving in my closet is a bit smaller than the height of the comic book boards so I trimmed them to fit my closet and then folded my fabric selvedge to selvedge and then in thirds. I absolutely love having the mini bolts.
    wow love your colors and it is nice and tidy i could only wish to have my fabric looks so tidy !!!
    Old 01-31-2012, 04:55 PM

Well, I did it today. I ordered 300 Comic book boards today on Amazon. It sounds like alot, but if I ordered over $25, you get free shipping. If I don't use them all will give some to a friend. I have a feeling I will use almost all of them. I can't wait to get organized.
    Old 02-01-2012, 03:16 PM

I use the comic boards too (buy them from Amazon) and love them. I use them for fabrics 2 yards or less...fold them selvage to selvage, then fold sort of in thirds, using the board as a guide. More than 2 yards, I fold on my 6 x 24 ruler, then fold in half and keep them all on one shelf so I know that I have significant yardage or enough for a quilt back.

Fat quarter storage was a problem for me, but this week I bought a small desktop organizer at Target called a Mini Cubical. Particle board covered in laminate and DIY assembly required, but not difficult. It stacks neatly on top of a bookcase in my sewing closet and there's plenty of room for fat quarters ('course I had to refold most of them). Now I can see them, grouped roughly by color or theme.

Now that I have everything where I can see it, I was able to easily pull a bunch of coordinating fabrics last week for a class at my guild meeting today!

AnitaSt
    Old 02-02-2012, 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by Sewze
    Ask your fabric supplier (LQS, JoAnn's, Hancock's) for any empty fabric bolts. They are happy to give you whatever they have (they just throw them away anyway). I take all that they offer, but prefer the 'flat' boards and just put the 'thicker' ones in the cardboard recycling. I then cut the flat ones into 7.5 " x 11.5" size and fold the fabric (on a king size bed for large amounts) as the blogspot mentioned above and stacked them vertically. I have folded as much as 8 yds on one board. I love the eye candy that you can achieve and how much more accessible my fabrics are at a glance. Have fun...it's addictive. Jinnie
    The empty cardboards from fabric stores is not acid free. The comic book cards are. Your stash is lovely.
    Old 05-04-2013, 06:10 PM

Will be getting some myself! LOVE LOVE LOVE the idea! and it makes everything look so nice and neat! Thank you for sharing!!!
    Old 05-04-2013, 07:19 PM

I haven't used the boards because of the additional space they would take up and the widely varying amounts of fabrics I have.
    I do the flat fold stacking on shelves by color.
    Yardage ends up wider (and fatter) than FQ so it is somewhat obvious approximately how much of a given fabric is available.