Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Fons and Porter Magazine Goes Electronic >
  • Fons and Porter Magazine Goes Electronic

• Fons and Porter Magazine Goes Electronic

Old 09-30-2010, 09:08 AM

I did like my free sample of the digital magazine but don't have a subscription so would have to pay for all. Kind of redundant to get both. I did not know there are other digital quilt magazines out there? I found the fat quarterly magazine, can anyone tell me any others? If you get the digital version you only have to print out the patterns you like and not have an overload of magazines to store. Sometimes there is only one pattern I like but I bought just for that one. I already have many years of magazines stored. Keep saying I'm going thru and copying the patterns I want but that takes away from quilting time or computer time...
    Old 09-30-2010, 09:17 AM

One thing that REALLY bugs me about buying Fons and Porter off the rack is that they usually have their magazine encased in plastic. A. Environmentally that is NOT cool.
    B. I hate spending that money on a magazine that might not have a project in it that I like. C. They make me feel like a thief... the implied message is "you dare not look at our designs because you might steal them."

So, no matter what they offer online I will be sticking with my digital subscription to Quilter's World!
    Old 09-30-2010, 09:53 AM

Originally Posted by Mamagus
    One thing that REALLY bugs me about buying Fons and Porter off the rack is that they usually have their magazine encased in plastic. A. Environmentally that is NOT cool.
    B. I hate spending that money on a magazine that might not have a project in it that I like. C. They make me feel like a thief... the implied message is "you dare not look at our designs because you might steal them."

So, no matter what they offer online I will be sticking with my digital subscription to Quilter's World!
    Ditto!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Old 09-30-2010, 10:08 AM

I am not a fan of the whole movment to on line. I spend enough time in front of a computer. I like a good print magazine as it is easliy transportable. No wires ... no looking for connections... no glare... Just me thumbing through , many times , looking at my own pace, if the phone rings I can answer and get back to were I was ..... etc.
    That being said there is a place for online, but , I am reluctant to sign more of mylife over to a screen.
    I remember my mother telling me that watching too much television would rot my brain. Well it can ! And to some not so nice things to our bodies. Well I think computers are the same ....too much ...!!
    Sorry I can get going on a bit!
    Old 09-30-2010, 10:32 AM

I won't be subscribing to magazines online either. I agree with Lori S about spending too much time in front of the monitor. Plus I already have carpal tunnel. The more time I can spend away from the computer and a mouse, the happier my hands are.

I have an additional issue. I live in a rural area and I'm still on dial-up. Downloading any videos is out of the question because it takes so long.
    Old 09-30-2010, 10:51 AM
    Power Poster

I think digital quilt magazines are fantastic. I don't have to store the magazine and I can print out the pattern I want and don't have to keep it when I'm done. This F&P online magazine is the best I've seen. Most patterns have a video that pops up you can watch the pattern being made. Some ads have videos too so you can see the new gadgets being used. I'm going to see if the magazine will download on my Iphone. I use my Iphone more then my computer to read the board and visit online sites. No problem with hurting hands, you don't need to type or use a mouse. Just touch.

Wow, I subscribed, paid with Pay Pal, and already have the next issue to read before the time ran out to edit this post. I love having instant access to things. :thumbup: