Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Forcing yourself to quilt something you don't like >
  • Forcing yourself to quilt something you don't like

• Forcing yourself to quilt something you don't like

Old 04-09-2013, 07:45 AM

Years ago my daughter gave me some fabric she thought was wonderful. It was very rough and heavy, but had very "cute" panda bear pictures on it (probably many of you have seen it). My 8 year old gs was past due for his "big boy" quilt so I asked him to look at my stash and tell me what he would like. He saw that fabric up on a top shelf and asked to see it. He loved it! I pointed out that it is heavy, rough, etc. (he wore his tee shirts inside out for years because he didn't like the feel of the seams against his skin). But he insisted. I made it. Not the best quilt I've ever made, but he doesn't know that. He loves it. I stuffed the main picture element, sewed around the parts of the bears to add a third dimension and ended up with wrinkles around the puffiness. I left them. He doesn't mind them at all! He probably thinks they are a design element. He's happy to have the quilt; I'm happy to be rid of it. Such is life.....
    Old 04-09-2013, 07:53 AM

Been there done that more than ounce. Some times I like it after it is done.
    Old 04-09-2013, 07:53 AM

Can we see a pic of the fabric?

FWIW, I often find that the homeliest outfit on the rack actually looks quite nice when I try it on (found this out one day when I said "who would ever WEAR that?!" and tried it on just for ha-has...wouldn't you know it, it actually looked pretty good on!)
    Ever since then, I give something the benefit of the doubt before I say it's awful.
    Old 04-09-2013, 08:06 AM
    Banned

I am NOT a fan of brown no matter what I TRY and say to myself
    it is just not a color I LIKE to work with.

On another website I had a quilting friend to challenge me to make
    SOMETHING using some specific brown fabrics 3 of them being baby
    themed fabrics. It didn't have to be very big (at least a changing pad
    size). I worked for MONTHS on that and just could not bring myself
    to get it finished.

To this day 3-1/2 years later it still sits in a bin unfinished.

Will I ever go back to it? maybe some day who knows but I am in
    no hurry to do it.
    Old 04-10-2013, 02:47 AM

I did this a couple of years ago.....made a particular quilt for my son-in-law who I "intensely dislike"....at my daughter's request. Actually, it was a real pain to make so I just made the top, gave it to him for Christmas and promised a finished quilt by the next Christmas. By then they were almost divorced so I got out of finishing the darn thing. Gave it to the art teacher at the middle school where I teach, where it is waiting to be chopped up or displayed or whatever she decides to do.......
    Old 04-10-2013, 02:49 AM

Originally Posted by Quilty-Louise
    I am NOT a fan of brown no matter what I TRY and say to myself
    it is just not a color I LIKE to work with.

On another website I had a quilting friend to challenge me to make
    SOMETHING using some specific brown fabrics 3 of them being baby
    themed fabrics. It didn't have to be very big (at least a changing pad
    size). I worked for MONTHS on that and just could not bring myself
    to get it finished.

To this day 3-1/2 years later it still sits in a bin unfinished.

Will I ever go back to it? maybe some day who knows but I am in
    no hurry to do it.
    This is exactly why I don't own brown fabrics. If I had them I'd have to try to use them! FYI, I don't own any beige or gold either.
    Old 04-10-2013, 03:28 AM
    Power Poster

Just like nasty tasting meds... get it over and done with.
    Old 04-10-2013, 03:49 AM

Remember that this is a baby quilt-not a king size quilt! It is going to make someone very happy and you get to have a part in making that happen. It is like going to a quilt show. To the maker of each of those quilts, the entry is a masterpiece. Some you will love, some you will like and some will make you wonder how the maker came up with that idea or thought it was lovely. Be pleased that you get to be a part of the process and allow the receiver of the quilt enjoy the expertise you brought to the process and product.
    Old 04-10-2013, 05:08 AM

This question had to come from me - it's all I've been thinking of lately. I am a hairdresser that works two days a week. I have a customer living on very little. She asked me to quilt her grandmothers flimsy. I know no one else is going to do it as cheap as I will and what will it hurt, right? Here she comes with two quilts, hand sewn, and I say this in the worst possible way. First is hexies, and the sewing is all crammed up and really awful, plus it is poly/cotton cheap fabric. I have to repair parts because it is coming apart at the seams. I don't even know what the second is, I've groaned so bad over the first. Included is a piece of not matching yellow for the border that I am going to have to piece because it isn't big enough. And no backing or batting. I looked for backing, but the only thing I found was muslin. OMG this is a nightmare. I just don't know what to do - or if I can force myself. I know they will be treasures to the girls who will get them, but I bet they end up in a closet.
    It feels so good to finally say what I really think!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I forgot to add that she is legally blind - she can't do anything with them.
    Old 04-10-2013, 05:49 AM

I'm glad I have finally learned to say NO. If it doesn't interest me or they put 'must have or be', I just say I am not up to doing it. They don't have to know why I'm not up to doing it. I've also found most want it made CHEAP, as in what they will pay me. I sew when I want to and make what I want to. If something special comes of it, I will give it as a gift. I guess I've just gotten 'cranky' but was tired of always trying to please people. Now I concentrate on myself. There are some fabrics I simply cannot stand to handle and they get put in file 13. I'm a happy camper now!