Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Forcing yourself to quilt something you don't like >
  • Forcing yourself to quilt something you don't like

• Forcing yourself to quilt something you don't like

Old 04-10-2013, 07:15 AM

My niece wanted a red, black and white baby quilt based on a Gees-Bend pattern. I hated every minute of it but it had to be done. I do not like to be tied down by color or pattern. That makes it very difficult for me.
    Old 04-10-2013, 07:39 AM

As quickly as possible, done and over, move on to something I love!
    Old 04-10-2013, 07:46 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltnMyra
    Yes Michelle, I do have a strategy for this type of situation. Plan to do just five minutes on the hated task, tell yourself that its just a beginning and before you know it five minutes has turned into two hours. I used to give this advice to my teenagers and their friends at school assignment time and it worked every time.
    Great advice! This sounds like it would work for other projects too.
    Old 04-10-2013, 08:11 AM

Before my MIL passed , she made a quilt top out of orange and brown. The worst colors I've ever seen in my life. Some orange I can deal with but this is ORANGE !! That thing has sat in my junk drawer for 3 years. I don't see any future move for it. YUCK its awful. I just can't make myself get it out.Its a star. awful.
    Old 04-10-2013, 08:14 AM
    Dix

My grandson and wife had a baby girl last year. I had told them I would do a crib quilt. They picked out colors that I would never pick, plus some plain pieces. I always try to get something with a slight pattern in the plain colors for some depth. But, she knew what she wanted!!! I did what the asked, a plain pattern with quilt in the ditch. Which I never do. My dd did the bumpers and curtains, and some pillows. It all came together and was very nice. In a gray nursery the pink, white and black was fine!!!!
    Old 04-10-2013, 10:00 AM
    Power Poster

A while back a friend asked me to make a quilt out of her scrap strips of fabric. Well, she literally meant all types of fabrics, even a few knits, polyester, cotton, etc., AND she wanted the strips separated by wide red sashing. Now I like some red, but red sashing. I had seen a quilting on Simply Quilts who thought of red as a neutral, and she was not afraid of color, every room in her house was a primary color. Well, I dug in, figured out how long the strips were, cut them to an even width and separated them by 6" strips of a sort of barn red. The entire time I was making it I chanted "Red is a neutral", "Red is a neutral". When I finished, although I had reservations, my son and husband loved it. Well so did she and she paid me well for it, and I was only expecting to be reimbursed for my fabrics and batting. She was 80 at the time and had 2 more quilts made, however, my girlfriend made them as I had prior commitments. She is 91 1/2 now and still plugging away and still loving the quilts.
    Old 04-10-2013, 10:06 AM

It sound like most of us have been asked, at one time or another to make a quilt that was someone else's dream (and our nightmare). I have too. My daughter wanted a kaleidoscope quilt done all in shades of dusty purple and cream. I made myself do it, confident every step of the way that it would be the most incredibly boring quilt ever made. Once finished though it was rather pretty. The punchline of the joke is that she put it somewhere and, although I am a regular visitor to her home, I've never seen it since. So it was all for nothing. Would I do it again? Probably not. I've been asked since and usually just tell the person asking that life's too short to invest a lot of time in something that you dislike unless you absolutely must.
    Old 04-10-2013, 10:38 AM

The reward system works! Currently, I'm making a bed-sized Log Cabin as a 'thank you' gift. It's even in my favorite color, but I started to burn out about half way through making the blocks. So I started to tell myself to make at least 1 block and then take a break for chocolate. It worked - and I usually managed to make another block before the break. The blocks are finished and the rows are almost all sewn together. That got interupted, because we're now about to move, and I had to stop and pack up my sewing room!
    Old 04-10-2013, 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by Lori S
    I bait myself to do it with the promise of a reward at the end ... typically fabric and/or chocolate ...sometimes both .
    If she is so adamant about what she wants you could always explain to her how rewarding it will be for her if SHE makes it herself. Sorry.....I like to make things for other people but won't be dictated to.