Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • formaldehyde in fabric? >
  • formaldehyde in fabric?

• formaldehyde in fabric?

Old 06-09-2012, 07:34 AM

Wonder what the chemicals do to the septic systems? Maybe better NOT to wash lots of fabric as it might poison the leach field. Does anyone know where to find an answer to this question? Thanks.
    Old 06-09-2012, 08:12 AM

Such an interesting topic.

I am used to washing and drying my fabrics 3 times before cutting since I raised my kids. Didn't want my hard work to go to waste and shrink. But, now I have to wash it because the chemicals bother my finger tips immediately.
    Old 06-09-2012, 08:36 AM

Originally Posted by TanyaL
    My SIL who is a Hazardous Waste Fire Chief tells me that if someone ever succeeded in getting a totally air tight house so that they could save on their HVAC cost, it would kill them because of the fumes from the chemicals in their carpets, drapes, walls and building materials. The drafts in our houses save our lives. Hard to get excited over our quilting fabrics when we have lethal carpets, etc. around.
    Guess this is why I have a problem with motel/hotel rooms if I stay in them more than one night, my nasal passages get dry and irritated. One time I left the room around 3 am and sat outside the motel until 7am so I could awake my roommate so we could check out. Just back from a 5 day stay in Las Vegas, being outdoors helped a lot but there is no moisture in the air in that desert. Windows wouldn't open a crack but had to stay as it was our granddaughter's wedding but oh so glad to be back in moist New Jersey. We often visit grandkids in Mass. and the motel we stay at has windows that open a few inches and I open them as soon as we get there. Letting some outside fresh air in helps.

Sorry I got off tract here but I do wash before cutting to get rid of dyes, chemicals and if fabric is going to shrink it's better to take care of it before making the quilt. I'm a coordinator for my Guild's Project Pillowcases that distributes pillowcases to kids in local hospitals. After each pillowcase is made we wash and dry them before placing them into baggies that we seal, we don't want to cause the kids can further medical problems. May in Jersey

Last edited by May in Jersey; 06-09-2012 at 08:46 AM.
    Old 06-09-2012, 08:41 AM

I agree that I don't prewash before sewing, but I do always wash before giving them or using them. There is formaldehyde in a lot of things. That was one of the concerns in the FEMA trailers or any trailers, because it is in the plastics and insulation.
    Old 06-10-2012, 03:58 AM

Originally Posted by ILoveToQuilt
    Wonder what the chemicals do to the septic systems? Maybe better NOT to wash lots of fabric as it might poison the leach field. Does anyone know where to find an answer to this question? Thanks.
    Oh, geeze, Louise! I hadn't thought about that! we are on septic...my brother is in waste water treatment (teaches at a U) I'll ask and see what he thinks.
    Old 06-10-2012, 06:21 AM

Originally Posted by ILoveToQuilt
    Remember you are getting formaldylhyde in clothing , sheets, etc. it not just in your quilting fabric, and has been there for years.
    Old 06-10-2012, 11:20 AM

I'm glad Joann's posted this. I hope more shops do in the future since there are so many new quilters nowadays.
    Old 06-10-2012, 02:41 PM

According to one of the above links, methanol is formaldehyde.
    Old 06-22-2012, 09:29 AM

Remember the trailer provided to people in new Orleans after Katrina that couldn't be used? It was because of formaldehide used in the paneling etc inside. No one will ever be able to live in those trailers.