Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Foundation for string blocks >
  • Foundation for string blocks

• Foundation for string blocks

Old 01-31-2019, 09:03 AM

I use cheap wax paper from $ store--I make mainly 10" and 12" string blocks and the wax paper is wide enough and tears off very easily from the back. In a pinch, I'll use newspaper.
    Old 01-31-2019, 02:51 PM

another paper that I use came from Home Depot. It is the paper that is attached with blue tape with some gizmo to mask for painting. The role is 9" wide and there is a lot on it. I also used florist tissue paper which comes in large sheets (I bought a whole bunch at a garage sale). One side of that is smooth and more slippery but using the back side worked and it was easy to remove. My friend took phonebooks to the Fedex office and had them cut into 6" squares for use in foundation piecing.
    Old 01-31-2019, 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by osewme
    Here's something I discovered.

I was making some string blocks for a charity recently & was looking for some other type of paper to use for the back (to tear off). My DD is a chiropractor & uses disposable face cradle paper on her table. I got a roll from her recently & tried it & it worked great. It's thin, soft & tears away very easily. If you are in good with a doctor or chiropractor, they may give you a roll (or the end of a roll) every now & then for your string blocks. I bet that paper that doctors use on their exam tables would work great also.
    Clever... I use very thin deli wrap paper that I buy at a local box store. Has a 1K sheets and sheets are 15" x 16". Works great. I share with friends as there's so many sheets.