Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Frayed seams question >
  • Frayed seams question

• Frayed seams question

Old 06-04-2017, 08:25 AM

Default Frayed seams question

How important is it to cut off frayed seam threads before layering and quilting! I seem to get frustrated trying to "clean up" my seams because no matter how careful I am the more I trim threads the more fraying I create. I've tried trimming each seam as I go, but by the time the quilt top is done more fraying occurs. I do use high quality quilt fabrics. I do trim the machine threads at the end of each seam and the longer frayed threads but is it ok to leave 1/4 to 1/2 inch threads? Is there anything I can do to prevent the fraying? I've thought about Fray Check but is it necessary?
    Old 06-04-2017, 08:37 AM

I don't clean up my seams like you do. I trim the ends of my stitching line, the thread not the fabric. When it's all pieced together I trim anything that is hanging loose (fabric frays) if they are overly noticeable. These seams will all be trapped between your top and the batting and quilting will hold everything. I would worry with what you do that you would be losing your quarter inch seams. I think I would have to see how much fray you are referring to in order to see if it's necessary.
    Old 06-04-2017, 08:43 AM

I agree with Vivian. I think the only concern would be dark threads showing through under very light blocks or borders. Even those can be pushed to the proper dark side during quilting.
    Old 06-04-2017, 08:50 AM
    Power Poster

I trim any long threads but I don't trim the short threads coming from the fabric and never pull them.
    Old 06-04-2017, 09:32 AM

Never have fraying problems. I starch all my fabrics before cutting.
    Old 06-04-2017, 09:57 AM

I am with Selm. I had a baby quilt with a black and white checkerboard sashing. After it was quilted, there were a few dark threads that you could see under the white squares and that annoyed me. But I gifted it anyway and nobody else seemed to notice them. I actually made that same pattern a second time, but was very careful to clip or push any dark frays toward the dark fabric.

I have found that if you insist on cutting exactly on the grain, you get more fraying. I'm just not as particular about that anymore.
    Old 06-04-2017, 09:57 AM

I've been making scrap quilts lately and everything frays. I make sure I take off any dark threads that might show through a light fabric, but I don't pick up anything else. They really look like a mess from the back, but after they're quilted, they look just fine. I wouldn't worry about it.
    Old 06-04-2017, 10:03 AM
    Power Poster

i don't seem to get much fraying and use a variety of fabric types. i trim the long thread ends, though
    Old 06-04-2017, 12:25 PM

I don't trim them off, just try to make sure I can iron to the dark side. If I have one fabric that frays really badly, I will sew the quarter inch seam, then sew another at 1/8 inch. Sometimes, I have been known to sew a 1/8 inch seam (stay stitch) on only the badly fraying piece. That prevents a double seam that might not be as flat as I want it. It's double sewing, but it solves the problem of further fraying.
    Old 06-04-2017, 12:58 PM
    Power Poster

A suggestion "for next time"

When I am sewing a darker fabric to a lighter fabric, I have the lighter fabric "cover" the darker fabric by about one or two threads - see illustration.

So then the darker fabric usually will not show - no matter which way I press the seam.
    Attached Thumbnails lighter.jpg