Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Frazzled >
  • Frazzled

• Frazzled

Old 03-23-2013, 06:10 AM
    yel

i used the heat and bond for t-shirts quilts all the time ...never had a problem ....but i know it doesn't mix well with fabric softener ....and walmart has it in a package much cheaper
    Old 03-23-2013, 06:12 AM

I've only used the Steam-a-seam product (the "lite" one). I only had a problem with it once, when I was applying to a very large applique (life size female silhouette). The problem I had wasn't with the ironing portion, but the first step where you adhere the fusible to the fabric then pull off the first layer of paper. Because the applique was so large and "split" where the legs split ... the fusible part wanted to stick to the paper instead of the fabric in a few places. I was able to peel it off the paper and onto my fabric though. I did not have a problem fusing it with the iron once I had it on.

Part of my problem could have been that my fabric was heavily starched.
    Old 03-23-2013, 08:29 AM

Thanks for the heads up...I'll take it off my list too! I don't much care for the Lite with batiks either...shows a waffle design on the top when finished. Haven't tried it yet with regular fabrics, but the Steam a seam lite works well with batiks.
    Old 03-23-2013, 12:42 PM

When heat and bond first came out I ordered a roll of both types. One worked fine. The other worked good if you were not going to sew through it. I still have yards if it . It is old now and will not iron on to any thing.<o></o>
    Old 03-23-2013, 01:45 PM

Did you turn the iron off? I must admit just used heat and bond light weight. More impressed with it than the heavy weight which is too stiff for applique, especially baby quilts.
    Old 03-24-2013, 05:08 AM
    Power Poster

I haven't used that one before. Don't think I want to now.
    Old 03-24-2013, 05:09 AM

Originally Posted by Tartan
    I wanted to give the Heat and Bond Featherweight another chance before giving it the thumbs down. I fused it to the back of my silhouette and fused it to the quilt top. The bad news is,the silhouette peeled right off. The good news is, I could re-use the silhouette and try it wth Wonderunder.
    I ironed the Wonderunder to my silhouette. Oh oh, why is it not sticking very well to the silhouette? Okay, I will try and fuse it in place. Why is it not working???? Forgot to plug the iron back in. Well my silhouette is now fused on and I will wait until later tonight to buttonhole stitch the edge. I have left the sewing room before something worse happens and Heat and Bond Featherweight is off my supply list FOREVER!
    I use WonderUnder because I use so much of it (bolts) and it is cheaper. As the fusibles have become more "light" they do not stick as well. I often use the Elmer's washable school glue to hold down the edges until they are stitched. Right now I am experimenting with combinations of different fusibles to find one that sticks well enough for the small pieces of McKenna Ryan's patterns without any sewing required. I need to do a few more washings, but the first pieces fused and washed and dried with a regular load of wash did not fray or pick up at the edges so I am very hopeful. I need to check it out with non batiks, larger pieces and more wasing.
    Old 03-24-2013, 07:30 AM

Originally Posted by SusanMarie1956
    What are the things you ladies are talking about? Bond what ?

Susan
    Hi there, we are talking about using different fusible products to adhere appliqué shapes to our quilts before we stitch around them.
    Old 03-24-2013, 08:21 AM

Location: Currently Mosquito (which is outside of Placerville) California

Originally Posted by Jackie Spencer
    Have you used Lt. Steam a Seam II. I use it all the time and love it!
    I'm with you, Jackie! It is soooo easy to use.
    Old 03-24-2013, 09:12 AM

I am a beginner at quilting & have off & on been looking at Long Arm machines on line & always see the many different "button hole" stitches, being a clothing sewer I always wondered why would anyone need so many types of button holes lol now I see that it's a stitch for quilting DUH me.