Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Free motion is more like limited motion! >
  • Free motion is more like limited motion!

• Free motion is more like limited motion!

Old 12-28-2013, 07:56 AM
    Power Poster

I would definitely change to another thread, and check out that modified foot for burrs. Let us know how it works out.
    Old 12-28-2013, 08:03 AM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by SlightlyOffQuilter
    ahhhhh overlock thread snaps / frays on me every time. It does not stand up to the speed and friction that FMQ gives it. I use the Essential Pro thread from Connecting Threads and have never had any trouble with it for FMQ !
    I agree try another thread besides overlock.
    Old 12-28-2013, 09:38 AM

By "overlock" thread -- do you mean serger thread? It's not recommended for sewing machines, has more lint than regular thread and can leave linty residue -- so sounds like it might be a thread problem. Do you sew slow or fast? Might try to change the tempo -- when I first began found that faster worked better for me, now can control going slower and getting enough stitches close together not to get those "eyelashes" on the back when moving the fabric too fast. Good luck - it's a trick to master, but great fun once you get it.
    Old 12-28-2013, 09:44 AM

I agree with your husband that it is user error. I had the exact same problem with a Brother 1500S. After much practice and changing to a bigger needle I can do it OK. Until I'm tired. Once the thread starts fraying, I know I have to take a break. I'll be able to do it again in a little while. I just has to have something to do with the way I (and maybe you) are moving the quilt around.

And just for the record, I do use overlock serger thread often for FMQ. I realize it is against the rules, but I do it anyway.
    Old 12-28-2013, 11:41 AM
    Banned

I also use serger thread all the time. Never have a problem.
    Old 12-28-2013, 12:29 PM
    Power Poster

It took me almost a year to find the perfect combo of brand of thread, needle size, bobbin thread, and tension setting for the machine I use for fmq. I don't change it! LOL. I use Glide thread, Superior's Organ titanium topstitch needle size 80/12 and Glide Delights prefilled magna bobbins with a Bobbin Genie. If I use different thread then I have to go through a process of testing needles and tension.
    http://www.bobbincentral.com/
    http://www.superiorthreads.com/produ...chine-needles/
    Old 12-28-2013, 01:37 PM

I use overlock thread for my piecing all the time, and for quilting on my domestic Janome it is fine, but my Brother PQ1500s will shred it faster than anything , I think because it is a more powerful machine with a faster stitch speed causing more friction.
    Old 12-28-2013, 04:40 PM

I saw a tutorial of a Lady from overseas,sorry don't remember which one, anyway she said her machine just doesn't like the feed dogs down, so she doesn't and she's not had a problem with the FMQ since she decided to just let it stay. Her's seemed to look very nice too.
    Old 12-29-2013, 04:26 AM

Originally Posted by Tartan
    Use a pair of old pantyhose and run it all around inside the bobbin and case. Do the same under and around the plate and along the thread route. If the pantyhose catch anywhere, you will know you have a rough spot. I think the repairmen have a special cloth for polishing out burrs?

On my longarm I use crocus cloth to remove burrs. It can be purchased at a hardware store. It is a very fine sandpaper sheet...I cut a sliver of it and use it that way.
    Old 12-29-2013, 04:33 AM

I have always been under the impression that overlock thread should only be used on serger.........something with the way it is twisted when created. I am seriously going to look into using it, at least for piecing...have a boatload of it.....bought it when I thought I would just serge everything.....not!