Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Free Motion Quilting and Arthritis >
  • Free Motion Quilting and Arthritis

• Free Motion Quilting and Arthritis

Old 01-18-2011, 07:05 AM
    Power Poster

i use icy/hot on my back but there is a tube of odor free Aspercreme that might help your hands. A friend in England has me send her some. she also likes Tiger balm.
    Old 01-18-2011, 07:13 AM

Lavender is such a sweet wonder! If you have just the flower buds simply put them in a small open container, basket, jar or ... whatever. I have made small little "pillows" out of any thin airy fabric and tuck them in drawers and give them as gifts. I also put my little "pillows" in my storage bins of fabric to keep them fresh.

If you have fresh lavender, with the stems, bunch them with ribbons and hang them in closets, weave the stems and tie off with ribbon or thread or form the long stems into wreaths. A quick internet search will give you many ideas on ways to use lavender.

I have made my own soap with the lavender flowers generously added. You can use the stems also but it is not as pretty.

http://www.joys-of-lavender.com/lavender-crafts.html
    http://everything-lavender.com/lavender-crafts.html

My favorite lavender craft was a tooth pillow for my daughter at about age 5. She is still my lavender girl at thirty something.

But the best use of all is tucking just a little lavender "pillow" in your linen closet to scent your bedding or your bed pillow and you will relax and sleep peacefully. Yes, it really helps. Not a cure all for restless sleep but it sure does help.

A little in your sewing room will be relaxing too.

Any one tried Lavender ice cream or lavender cookies? YUM-YUM!
    Old 01-18-2011, 07:15 AM

Originally Posted by mama's place
    See if you can take a med called Arthrotec....not sure if it ends with a c or a k. It might not mix with other meds you take and it might not work for you. It does require a Dr.'s prescription. It did wonders for my knees. They don't bother me at all now......Not saying that this is a cure just that it could help enough that you could do more without pain. Look into it.
    I also take Arthrotec and have found it to be the best remedy for me. I like that it is prescribed by a doctor, that way I do not have any conflicts with other medications I take. I have arthritis in almost every joint now. I've had both knees replaced, scheduled for shoulder replacement this year, and probably the other shoulder next year. There are times when it is very painful to sew, but I just keep on keeping on. My doctor told me to not sit for a longer period than 20-30 minutes, even if watching TV get up and move around. I try to remember that when I have trouble with my hands, wrists, elbows, shoulders. They need to "get up and move around too" so I just do whatever movement I can with them to get them loosened up. Good luck
    Old 01-18-2011, 05:33 PM

Originally Posted by Happy Treadler
    I hear lavender is good for relaxing, and I bought some last year. What can I make with it so I can use it?? I have it in my sewing room closet, and every time I open it up I get greeted with the wonderful smell of lavender. LOVE it.
    I actually have a tart recipe that calls for lavender so I bought some but I haven't tried the recipe yet.
    Old 01-18-2011, 05:38 PM

Hmmm I'm having more trouble with my hands this winter than before. However, it is my first winter in Kansas. Perhaps the cold is a factor.
    Old 01-18-2011, 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by Ps 150
    I hear lavender is good for relaxing, and I bought some last year. What can I make with it so I can use it?? I have it in my sewing room closet, and every time I open it up I get greeted with the wonderful smell of lavender. LOVE it.
    I actually have a tart recipe that calls for lavender so I bought some but I haven't tried the recipe yet.
    Hummm, I wonder if all lavender is edible?? I planted about 10 baby plants this fall, and I really hope they make it.
    Old 01-18-2011, 06:12 PM

Some great ideas here!!!!
    I have learned that frequent breaks are very important...and doing hand/wrist exercises every time I do break. I wear "wristies" almost all the time at home and they seem to help since I keep my house quite cool. Heat always feels good and I do that at nighttime.
    Old 01-18-2011, 07:29 PM

WOW glad I checked out this topic It is very informational for me. Of all the things my mom gave me I hate the Psorisis and the RA the most. LOL
    My daughter gave me one of those have wax machines a few years ago but I have never used it, I guess I will have to get it out and get some wax for it. I have been taking Aleve and rubbbing Myroflex on my hands at night and that seems to help, but the mouse on the computer really bothers my hand if I'm on here to long. It's a way to get me off the boards I guess. LuAnn
    Old 01-18-2011, 09:00 PM

Originally Posted by Ps 150
    Hummm, I wonder if all lavender is edible?? I planted about 10 baby plants this fall, and I really hope they make it.
    :lol: I actually would have no way of knowing. When I need any manner of herb or floral item I go to a store. My husband says I go beyond the proverbial "black thumb" to have an "apocalyptic thumb". I actually managed to not water a cactus enough to kill it. I just don't remember to nurture things that don't make noise--I'd refer you to our pet fish but they are no longer with us, for that reason. :? Our dog and cat are thriving though! :-D
    Old 01-18-2011, 09:01 PM

Originally Posted by LUANNH
    WOW glad I checked out this topic It is very informational for me. Of all the things my mom gave me I hate the Psorisis and the RA the most. LOL
    My daughter gave me one of those have wax machines a few years ago but I have never used it, I guess I will have to get it out and get some wax for it. I have been taking Aleve and rubbbing Myroflex on my hands at night and that seems to help, but the mouse on the computer really bothers my hand if I'm on here to long. It's a way to get me off the boards I guess. LuAnn
    Amen! This topic has given me quite a shopping list but so much more information that google. I just never know what information out there to trust but hearing it from ladies on here who have tried these out, helps so much. Thank you all for all the suggestions.