• Main
  • Free Motion Quilting and Arthritis >
  • Free Motion Quilting and Arthritis

• Free Motion Quilting and Arthritis

Old 01-19-2011, 05:23 AM

Originally Posted by MomtoBostonTerriers
    Originally Posted by rb.
    And don't tell anyone this, but washing dishes helps. lol
    Please do not let my husband hear about this!
    Thanks so much for both of your posts. I, since I found out I have arthritis, have noticed that I enjoy doing the dishes now, just for the comfort. I'll do a batch at each meal and even my daughters' afternoon snack, just for a boost of relief where as before I would just do them all as dinner cooked and then after dinner (I homeschool so that was easiest).

There are days when it's harder than most and other days where the pain comes and goes. My only relief is that I'm blessed to have a simple arthritis and nothing like RA or even some other condition. I have mild ailments, to say the least. I have asthma but that rarely gives me any real concern and I have Reynaud's Syndrome, which a lady in my quilting group says her Arthritis magazine says is a cousin to arthritis. With Reynaud's, as your body feels cold, the veins in your extremities (for some it's their hands, or their feet, or both) clamps down so that the blood flow is slower in those areas. My doctor has this syndrome and says most people exhibit signs of it, such as hands that turn white or red when cold or stay cold longer when they're inside. I have sores from mine and swelling. My youngest DD (only 6) was first diagnosed with it at 2 when she went outside to play in the snow for the first time. After 15 minutes her hands were purple. I rushed her to the doctors and the she was tested and diagnosed. Her syndrome is so bad that she gets open sores, muscle tissue infections and swelling so bad she can't hold a writing implement. Last winter our doctor suggested the best course of action might end up being to move to a warmer climate. They said hers was the worst case they had ever seen or heard of in a child and in some cases, if it got too bad and was left unattended, they've seen the need for amputation. Thankfully, we make sure she's taking care of herself with precaution but when I asked the doctor about the condition being related to arthritis, she said that my DD will most likely develop arthritis. :( Of all the things for her to inherit from me, she got my asthma, Reynaud's and now perhaps the arthritis.
    Old 01-19-2011, 08:48 AM

Location: Ohio... wanna build a cabin in the woods and live off the land... and quilt all day!

Originally Posted by Ps 150
    Thanks so much for both your posts. I love peppers so I'll try to incorporate them into my diet more. And I love the smell of basil. Is there much of a difference between Holy Basil and the Basil plants I pick up at the grocery store?
    The Holy Basil is different. You can buy it at specialty health food stores in a pill form ~ you may try that route, but having the plant is great because you can crush the leaves with morter/pestle and make the paste... Try any upscale nursery place in your town ~ if they don't have the live baby plant, see if they have the seeds... Or you can try johnnyseeds.com ~ I got seeds there a couple years ago... :) Bless your daughter, what a trooper
    Old 01-19-2011, 09:29 AM

I also have Reynaud's Syndrome but did not have any idea that it was related to arthritis. Interesting. I still giggle about my initial diagnoses of Raynauds. The doctor said there was medication but it had some pretty nasty side effects. So his recommendation was to "move to Arizona or wear wool socks, do calf strengthening exercises for your feet and NEVER, NEVER go outside without mittens." His prescription has not cured the problems with my hands and feet but they do make a difference. Also shoes with thicker soles, clogs for example, help keep the cold from my feet.

Sorry gal friends but those menopausal hot flashes were wonderful. No cold white fingers or toes that winter!

:lol:

The joy of dishes! What a hoot! Me too! And warm showers are a delight until the skin gets too dry and flaky. But that is another discussion.

Love this discussion to pieces!
    Old 01-19-2011, 09:50 AM

what kind of FMQ are you doing? do you have a frame? if not, you may want to check out a flynn frame. costs about $130 but should help with the pain due ot how you hold the frame and the less resistence since it rolls freely. My husband just ordered me one because I have tendonidious and am in great pain, but won't give up quilting for even a week. and when my hubby saw how the guy holds this frame, he figureed it would help my pain.
    Old 01-19-2011, 09:58 AM

Originally Posted by LUANNH
    WOW glad I checked out this topic It is very informational for me. Of all the things my mom gave me I hate the Psorisis and the RA the most. LOL
    My daughter gave me one of those have wax machines a few years ago but I have never used it, I guess I will have to get it out and get some wax for it. I have been taking Aleve and rubbbing Myroflex on my hands at night and that seems to help, but the mouse on the computer really bothers my hand if I'm on here to long. It's a way to get me off the boards I guess. LuAnn
    get a mouse pad with a wrist rest attached. They are awesome!!
    Old 01-19-2011, 11:03 AM

Here, Here...to the of the mouse pad with the wrist pad. An invention worth its price.
    Old 01-19-2011, 12:56 PM

Our doctor at the time of her diagnosis did have Reynaud's so it was a blessing. She told us that with our daughter's condition to buy the wool socks, fuzzy socks, Thinsulate gloves, boots and coat and not to let her stay outside more than 20-30 minutes at a time and it's helped. Sometimes, however, she still gets flareups and then there's antibiotics to take away the tissue infections.

The hot flashes are nice when they affect my whole body but for the most part, my hands and feet are never affected by the hot flashes. :lol: