Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Freezer paper applique ?? >
  • Freezer paper applique ??

• Freezer paper applique ??

Old 11-13-2012, 04:49 PM

Default Freezer paper applique ??

I've always been a starch and press girl, but I have a simple basket w/handle shape that I'll be putting on 100+ 3" blocks.
    I intend to use the method of freezer paper on top (maybe that's the only method?) to learn a new method.
    Am wondering how many times you can repress the freezer paper before it loses it clingability.

what say ye?
    Old 11-13-2012, 04:56 PM

I will be interested to read the replies to your question.
    Old 11-13-2012, 05:04 PM

I love to applique but use Wonder-Under. According to this McCall's link you can. Hope it helps you.

chttp://www.mccallsquilting.com/mccallsquilting/articles/freezer_paper_fun
    Old 11-13-2012, 05:27 PM

I do mostly all hand applique I prefer not to peice quilts! lol But on that note, I use the freezer paper/ starch and tiny iron methiod. I have tried, freezer paper, needleturn, back basting, and several others, but prefer the starch one the best. I seems to be able to get even the tinest of curves and turns looking great with this technique! HTH
    Old 11-13-2012, 05:45 PM

I love freezer paper applique. I always use it except for the few pieces that need to be needleturned. How many times you can repress the freezer paper depends on which freezer paper and which method you use. Reynolds seems to work better than others. Some just iron the paper on top and use that as a convenient guide to needleturn. The paper can be used many times. I put the freezer paper on the wrong side of the pattern with the plastic backing facing up. Then I iron the seam allowance onto the freezer paper. Clip as needed before ironing. Take your time ironing to get a good seal. Applique the top and bottom edges, pulling the freezer paper out gently when you have about 1" left to stitch. Pulling the paper out seems frustrationg at first, but becomes easy with a little practice. I change paper after every 5 pieces. After that, it is hard to keep the seam attached to the paper. And freezer paper just is not expensive enough to justify making the work harder than necessary. The upper seam is easy, but the lower seam is a little more difficult.

Good luck. Hope you enjoy yourself.
    Old 11-13-2012, 06:41 PM
    Power Poster

i agree with Laquita. but i have reironed the freezer paper up to 4 times if that info helps
    Old 11-13-2012, 07:25 PM

Hi Sharyn,

Years ago I purchased a RTW blouse on clearance, ripped the seams, and traced the pieces on freezer paper to make a master pattern. I've made at least 10 blouses with that freezer paper pattern, pressing it on the fabric, lifting, moving, re-pressing, etc., and it still sticks.

However, that being said, I've also made double-sided freezer paper templates for applique and discovered that if I'm brushing liquid starch on the edges, the templates don't last as long. I think the most I got from one template was about 40 uses.

Hope this helps.
    Old 11-14-2012, 05:53 AM

Thanks for the input everyone!

I'm hoping for at least 10 presses

And a duh moment, I had about 8 baskets cut out of the freezer paper (Rynolds) before I thought to think... I can staple paper together and cut multiple baskets at once.

This project started as a simple 3" 9-patch leaders/enders idea. But of course it has already gotten beyond that.
    Once blocks go up on the working wall I can't help messing about with design ideas. Fact...My name is Sharyn and I make complicated quilts slowly.
    Old 11-14-2012, 06:40 AM

I have made a couple of GFG using freezer paper and you can reuse it many, many times. i also do applique like 'blue cat' and iron my seam allowances to the freezer paper. I learned this from a wonderful applique teacher here in the northwest. Maybe we live in the same area and have taken the same class, blue cat.