Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Freezing Fabric >
  • Freezing Fabric

• Freezing Fabric

Old 02-26-2019, 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by ptquilts
    I don't have room in my freezer!!
    Ditto nor do I have rm in my Frig...and I have a full second freezer in my garage ...maybe I should consider another for just fabric!
    Old 02-26-2019, 05:22 PM
    Power Poster

I always pre wash all new fabrics. I dry one large piece by themselves, fold with ruler and never need to iron.

I have my freezers full of food. I grew up in the 50s. Life was much different than now. We had a wringer washer and hung clothes outside unless it was raining. No room in fridge for dampened clothes. Never hear of it until around 1960. All outside clothes were ironed.
    Old 02-26-2019, 05:32 PM

Until I was in my teens our "freezer" was big enough for 2 ice cube trays and about 2 1/2gal of ice cream--so no ironing in the icebox! But my Mom had a large 7-up bottle with a sprinkler top and would wet the ironing, roll it up and it would go into the frig usually just overnite.(small refrig so nothing stayed in it very long!) I asked once and she said that since we did not have A/C, and the clothes needed to "sit" moist before ironing, the frig kept them from mildewing.
    Old 02-27-2019, 08:51 AM

I do this with linen table cloths. My God Mother who is a woman of incredible grace and style, told me to wash my linen table cloths in hot water, roll them up, put in a plastic bag and store in the freezer. The day before using, I take it out and as you said use a dry iron and iron it dry. The table cloth would be so smooth and crisp.

I am one who washes most fabric when it comes into my house, for the simple reason that I get eczema from the chemical residue left on the cloth.
    Old 02-27-2019, 01:47 PM

My mom used to iron my dad's white shirts like that. They came out white, crisp and the sleeve creases would cut you.
    Old 02-27-2019, 07:18 PM

Originally Posted by betthequilter
    Do you freeze your fabric? No, I'm not talking about where to store it or where to hide it from hubby.

I had a great quilting teacher. I took many classes from her through a community college. She advocated freezing fabric. I know there is a controversy about whether to wash fabric or not wash fabric. I happen to be a person who washes probably 95% of the fabric that I purchase.

After washing your fabric (if you care to do so), put it in the dryer and Partrially dry it. That is important. Don't dry it completely. Fold the fabric and put it in a plastic bag and then put it in the freezer. Whenever you feel like ironing it, take it out of the freezer .... it may have some bits of ice on it. Iron it with a dry iron. As my quilting teacher said, "it irons like butter" .... can't say I've ever ironed butter! All the wrinkles will be gone and the fabric will be so smooth.

So, I ask again: do you freeze your fabric? If you don't, try it .... you may like it!
    I used to do this with clothing... never thought about fabric. But why not. Will get really crease free fabric

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 02-28-2019 at 03:00 AM. Reason: shouting/all caps
    Old 02-28-2019, 05:06 AM

My mom did the same. Rolled and into the freezer. She used to take in ironing for money. I too thought it was normal!
    Old 02-28-2019, 05:12 AM

Originally Posted by betthequilter
    I just found this online. Some of the ideas are "out there", but it may give you a little chuckle.

https://housekeeping.wonderhowto.com...undry-0163734/
    When I was young my sisters kept their new packages of nylons in the freezer!
    Old 02-28-2019, 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by Mariposa
    I'm a pre-washer too, but have not frozen the fabrics. I'll keep this in mind. I do recall my mom and grandma sprinkling wrinkled clothes and putting them into a pillowcase, then into the fridge.

Same here. Mom said it was easier to get the wrinkles out of the clothes.
    Old 03-01-2019, 08:09 AM
    Power Poster

I remember my Mom sprinkling my Dad's shirts and rolling them up before ironing. She didn't put them in the fridge though. I think she did it right before she was ready to iron.